• Members

To me, the best decade for the soaps was the 1970s, with the 1960s and 1950s also strong contenders. It was a mixed bag in the 1980s, with some soaps (ATWT for one) regaining past glory while others (GH, OLTL, TGL) disintegrated for many years during that decade. IMHO, even fewer soaps exhibited much quality during the 1990s, and by 2000, daytime TV was becoming a wasteland. None of the soaps in the past two decades have impressed me. My own GOAT soap, TGL, was atrocious in the 2000s. 

If I can take everything into account about the soaps being broadcast since 2000, including their histories from earlier decades, I'd still go with TGL because its total number of quality years is--to me--unsurpassed. Of course, AW was a masterpiece during Agnes Nixon's reign in the 1960s and then again under Harding Lemay from 1971-74-ish, as was Y&R under William J. Bell. We are lucky to have had so many fine nominees tgo choose from!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Along with being consistently well produced throughout its first several decades, storyline and character continuity were first rate. I think this is why many viewers became so attached to the show: they felt like they were watching family, friends and neighbors (same with ATWT). Of course, many great actors paraded through Springfield over the years. Actors were hired for talent and charisma, not because they were hair models.

The most important element that helped TGL shine brightly, however, was the writing. Viewers were treated to years of excellence thanks to material penned by the likes of Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon, Jane and Ira Avery, Robert Soderberg and Edith Sommer, the Dobsons, Douglas Marland, Pat Falken Smith and Nancy Curlee.

IMHO, the writing tanked for the last 15 years of the series (and from 1983-1984 to about 1988 or so), but that does not negate the decades of high-quality drama that had come before.

• 2 weeks later...