DAYS: Last living Mickey Horton & first person to speak on "Days" have passed away

• Members
241131988_2189410561201206_3878755836992

RICHARD VOIGTS

IN LOVING MEMORY

NOVEMBER 25, 1934-MARCH 19, 2021

(Mickey Horton, 2004)

Richard Voigts, the last living actor to have played the role of Mickey Horton, has passed away at the age of 86. Voigts died on March 19, 2021. His death was announced in the new issue of SAG-AFTRA Magazine. On "Days", Voigts briefly stepped into the role of Mickey for 3 episodes in 2004 after John Clarke retired and before John Ingle was hired to take over the role. Voigts appeared on many series from the 1980s-2010s, including "Hunter", "Murphy Brown", "Wings", "Chicago Hope", "Melrose Place", "The Drew Carey Show", "Sabrina the Teenage Witch", "Scrubs", "Gilmore Girls", "The King of Queens", "American Dreams", "The Shield", "Parks and Recreation" and "Grace and Frankie." His last role was on "Life in Pieces" in 2015.
241126811_2189411167867812_3181205707519

SIMONE GAD

IN LOVING MEMORY

APRIL 17, 1947-FEBRUARY 25, 2021

(Carol Proctor, 1965)

Simone Gad, who spoke the first words ever on "Days of Our Lives" has passed away. Gad, who went by the name Simone Pascal when on "Days", passed away on February 25, 2021 at the age of 73. On "Days", she played Julie's friend, Carol Proctor, and was the first character ever to speak on the show in the pilot episode on November 8, 1965 when Carol says "Julie, you're the greatest" as Julie steals a mink stole from a department store. Jason47 did an interview with Ms. Gad in 2014: http://www.jason47.com/days/interviewsimonepascal.html

Simone Gad, a well-known fixture in the Los Angeles art and acting community has passed away at the age of 74. She was adored and well loved by many.

Simone was born in Brussels, Belgium and immigrated to Los Angeles in 1951 with her parents who were Polish Holocaust survivors. The family settled in the Boyle Heights area of Los Angeles.

Simone was known/is remembered for her fun sense of style, especially her array of unique cat’s eye glasses and unending kindness. She also possessed a love for animals, and always shared stories of her beloved cats over the years. Her love of animals was reflected in her animal rescue/pin-up works she had been working on the past couple of years.

Simone was involved in the Fluxus movement and rose to prominence in the 1970’s art scene. She began making collage and assemblage paintings on vinyl. In her later paintings, she featured very expressionistic images of Chinatown, Fu Dogs, and other architecture of the world such as San Francisco, Spain, and Belgium.

Simone’s work has been exhibited throughout California, including at Los Angeles Institute of Contemporary Art, Molly Barnes Gallery, MOAH Lancaster, Track 16. She also showed internationally including exhibitions in Poland, and Berlin. Simone is also the recipient of numerous awards and grants and her work is included in private and public collections, as well as many publications.

As an actress, Simone may best be remembered for her part in the feature film, “Speed” where she played the silent but stand-out bus passenger along with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. Simone was also very proud to inform you that as an actress she was the first to speak lines on the pilot episode of the now long running daytime drama “Days Of Our Lives” with her line, “You’re the greatest.” Simone had many other acting projects, all unique like her.

Her art, like her life, is a reflection of “Hollywood and survival.” Simone moved through life with joy and honesty. She was self-taught and multi-talented. Simone was constantly working on her art. Besides paintings, drawings, and collage, she was working on the third book of her “Molested at the Movies” series at the time of her death.

The above text was written by ONE Archives Operations Manager Bud Thomas, friend of Simone Gad. Obituary via: (https://one.usc.edu/news/artist-and-actress-simone-gad-1947-2021)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for sharing the news @JAS0N47. RIP to both of them indeed!

Voigts as Mickey….was he intended to be permanent in the role or was the show just waiting for Ingle?

Unfortunately my only memories of Voigts as Mickey was the chili cookout contest where Mickey and Julie both crapped their pants after eating Bonnie’s spicy chili, I think it was around the time Beth crapped her pants complete sound effects on Passions during a confrontation with Sheridan.

Please register in order to view this content

‍‍‍

• Members

hmmm....I must've missed or didn't tape those episodes because I always thought Ingle came on right after Clarke retired?? RIP to him though!

Oyy.... Why doesn't that surprise me..... Pretty much Days and Passions 2004-2006 (when JER wrote both shows) was about upstaging the other on who can be the most ridiculous and OTT for their respected hours....I swear if we had an episode where Kate Slapped or had an altercation with Sami, we more then likely had Gwen kicking the S*it out of Theresa for finding her in bed with a shirtless comatose Ethan (LMAO...It's pretty hilarious thinking about that now actually) during that same day  

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

He was recurring, but he thought he was sticking around. After he was cast, I must have tracked down his email address, perhaps through a casting site. He ended up sending me that autographed photo above (you can sort of see the Jason at the bottom) and told me he was surprised his stint was so quick. I guess maybe Days was negotiating to get John Ingle at the time they hired Richard. John was on contract at GH at the time, and so I guess they had to wait until GH allowed him out of his contract to join Days. But maybe they never told Richard that at the time of his casting. 

• Members

That’s interesting. I always thought it a bit odd the show didn’t cast a name actor right away but then the Ingle casting seem to come like lightning speed after Voigts first episode aired. I didn’t realize he was only In 3 eps total though I felt like he spanned a couple weeks (then again JER was writing at the time lol) before Ingle took over. Glad you were able to get an autograph though!

• Members

I wish I could find Youtube of Voigts as Mickey

Days really went left field casting Kevin Dobson in the role in 2008. Like why de-age Mickey that much. That reminds me of when JFP & Co were seriously considering recasting Lila. Not sure if this was before or After Anna Lee Died. However the actress rumored to have snagged the role was : Maud Adams

56a71db5-f7bf-3e79-be1f-504b4ac9818f

Edited by John