The Tech Thread

• Members

100%. Companies want to block any criticism or duck accountability with regards to delivering a service. They sent two young kids to deal with hundreds of passengers, and they just repeated the mantra "Please go onto the website and rebook your journey." Not one executive or decision-maker was visible.

To compound matters, I ended up catching Covid from the melée of passengers at the station, lol.

This is what I mean about being let down by tech. A more personalized, human(e) service would have been more efficient in this situation. Within an hour, most passengers could have been quickly rebooked on trains that very day. But Eurostar just wants the algorithm deal with everything, and save some $$ and avoid either training humans or having to deal with human customers.

Another example: the closure of physical retail bank spaces in the UK. They want everyone to do banking 'on the app.' This is isolating a sizeable portion of older or immigrant residents who prefer dealing in cash and checks and don't know how to use computers or fancy smartphones. How to take out cash or deposit checks? Where do you go when you notice fraud in your account or on your credit card? Sit on a phone for half-an-hour and go through the motions dictated by automated voicecall?

Biden also recognises the alliance aspect of shared values under threat. But I will say that the Inflation Reduction Act was not well received in the EU -- it was seen as a competitive strike to attract European green business across the Atlantic to the US. Now the EU is trying to formulate meaningful green subsidies and incentives of its own.

Fear of an invasion of Taiwan is also governing this decision. Will the US back the Pacific alliance of Taiwan, Japan and South Korea? Guess that depends on who is in the WH.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

A few years ago, there was a certain number of the banking and business sectors that tried to promote the idea of a “cashless” society and at first, I was willing to hear them out but upon hearing more information, I decided that it would eventually become another facet of a divide along socioeconomic lines, with the ‘haves’ benefiting and the ‘have nots’ being at a marked disadvantage. We’re already getting a taste of the repercussions of this with some establishments that have tried to deny cash payments, for example an upscale fast-casual eatery called Sweetgreen (very popular here in the Northeast U.S.) which was forced to reverse their anti-cash policy after a severe backlash once the policy became public.

Well, they do say that necessity is the mother of invention and necessity, and I guess necessity can also provide the incentive to transform and refigure.

• Members

I love that people reacted against it and Sweetgreen acquiesced! So many big businesses now talk the talk of 'listening to our customers' but don't walk the walk. They basically want to force square pegs into round holes, as I've said before.

Before I derail this tech thread completely, I just wanted to repeat a rumor regarding the vanishing of physical banks from main street -- there are whispers that the ECB wants to introduce a CBDC (central bank digital currency) later this year (October?), and the removal of banks' physical presence on the continent may be part of that. However, this could also be a conspiracy theory started by an irate bank customer.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

This is the first time I’ve heard of livestream shopping (other than HSN and QVC, which I am not entirely sure is always live- I suspect some portions are recorded) but this sounds insane. Though this may only work for well-known celebrities.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/17/china/james-harden-nba-china-livestream-wine-intl-hnk/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2023-08-18T09%3A00%3A15&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...