Is My Friend In A Cult? Your Thoughts & Advice...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • Members

UPDATE: "Diana" and "Carlo" are no longer together and after spending months on the road, Diana is coming home this weekend. She reached out to my hubby and they had a talk, and we're going to have dinner with her this weekend. Hubby flat out told her we thought she was in a cult, and she agreed it was a cult-like atmosphere. Sounds like she's going to make the rounds and reach out to people she's fallen out of touch with, and is apologetic and embarrassed over the whole ordeal. 

Of course, I'll have questions, but at the same time, I'm not going to bombard her with too much. I'm happy to give her a safe space to come to us and vent and reconnect. But yeah, lots of info to unpack from the last couple days and more to come this weekend... 

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Lord... folks... just when you thought she was out of the water. 

Now we learn she's part of an MLM Pyramid cult scheme. I can even tell you which one: [redacted]. Look up the reviews. I'm amazed people can be so dumb, naïve, and vulnerable to fall for such garbage. It's cultish and similar to the idea of Scientology. She's trying to get our good friend to join now (so that she can make it through to the "third tier."). That's it. We're done with her. It's a lost cause. 

On second thought, I'm not going to list the name because I don't want those crazies to find this thread down the line during a random google search. That's how nuts these people can be. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

JFC. I’m so sorry to hear this! Back in my late 20s in the late 2000s, I became part of a MLM thing back home in Australia. I lasted six months before I realised how manipulative and insidious it all was (not to mention the amount of money you have to invest to even get a start). One thing’s for sure, and I’m talking from my own experience - never let anyone who is neurodiverse near any s**t like that.