AMC: Greenlee more of a daughter to Erica than Kendall?

• Members

Have there been any notable non-parent/child relationships that seem to supersede actual parent/child relationships on soaps? The one that comes to mind is Greenlee/Erica, who seemed more of a mother-daughter relationship than the watered down Kendall. I liked how they were always set up to clash throughout, while Erica just seemed to drop all her issues with Kendall for no discernable reason after she was sent to rehab post-Vegas. I liked how Erica seemed to resent Greenlee's old-money heritage, as it clashed with her being the working-class girl that had to scrape to the top. I never bought the saccharine lovey-dovey thing they were trying to go with Erica/AM's Kendall. 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Greenlee was sort of meant to be Erica, in many ways (though they failed). 

I never really understood what they were trying to go for with Kendall. She and Greenlee ultimately became a bit neutered and were kind of interchangable towards the end. Their frenemy thing was bizarre and I kept waiting for them to one day announce they just decided to be together, screw the men in their lives ... lol. 

I guess they were going for a Brooke/Erica type rivalry, but, again, failed. 

And soaps don't benefit from having a slew of different head writers every couple of years.

I felt Alicia Minshew was well cast Erica's daughter, looks wise (though Budig more resembles SM Gellar and maybe it should have Kendall brought back in 1999 instead of creating Greenlee). But the writing lacked after the first year or so with her. I also never thought Kendall and Zach had any spark whatsoever.

Anywho ...

Archived