Y&R's Dina Alzheimer's Story - Marla Adams Interview

• Members

http://soapcentral.com/yr/news/2018/0110-marla_adams_interview.php

Probably the best story Y&R has told in some time. It's mostly grounded in realism, good acting, no dopplegangers or other silly stuff. Minus a few misses (Dina burning down the club, slight abruptness in progression), Marla Adams has been excellent and I think she deserves her own thread to show that appreciation. 

The fan reaction of losing Dina, is almost close to how people must have felt when Maureen Bauer on Guiding Light was killed off. A controversial choice, but it made for some great acting and story-telling. I'm not comparing the 2 stories, but there are parallels with how people are feeling. 

Anyways, kudos to Marla Adams and the writing team (to a degree) for approaching this story with sensitivity and nuance - something I haven't seen on this show in a long time.

Edited to add interview with Marla Adams.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of aspects are actually accurate, FYI. But I don't like that it limits Dina (yes, I know this happens in life, I've seen it happen) and Marla Adams. It should have been a LOT slower progress (or it should have been Graham drugging and manipulating her, making her think she's losing her mind). It actually is one of the better stories on the show right now (which is kind of a backhanded compliment), despite it's many faults.

• Members

I’ve enjoyed the story for the most part. I just hate how quickly it’s progressed because Marla Adams has been fantastic along with the Abbott clan. Also that was a fantastic interview that she gave, and I know the Emmy’s mean very little now but I think Marla should def take one home this year. Those Christmas tree scenes with Jack when she was lucid were perfect.

• Members

How is it offensive? I doubt Marla Adams would be playing this story if she felt this way, and I would like to think that the brass at CBS would stop it if they found it offensive. Also Mal Young lost his mother to Alzheimer's so I don't see why he would approach a story as offensive. We can definitely dislike the story, but I find it weird to call it offensive, unless you can point out something I'm missing?

I miss Katherine too. And I know many people feel that Dina could take over her place, but Y&R still has many characters to explore both past and present. I like that Marla Adams is going out on such a high acting note, rather than just staying in the background unseen and unheard.

Archived