David Letterman retiring

quartermainefan

• Members

Perhaps. CBS and ABC didn't need a new host at that time, and FOX probably will never launch a successful late-night franchise no matter who's in the hosting chair. OTOH, perhaps it would have been wiser just to wait things out for awhile, pursue other interests, maybe focus more on writing and producing, etc.? Because, in retrospect, I believe Dave retiring was going to happen, sooner or later. If Conan had been available, I've no doubt that CBS would have at least courted him.

I don't know, I just feel like going to TBS might have marginalized him and his audience at the wrong moment (meaning, when he was poised to break out in a REAL way).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Conan was sort of always suited for a niche audience. Perhaps not TBS, but somewhere. I could see him on Comedy Central.

I would have enjoyed Amy Poehler in Letterman's spot but otherwise it's tough to think of any. Chelsea Handler seems to hate interviewing and beyond the "I'm drunk!" and "I hate Angelina Jolie!" persona there isn't a lot left of her. Tina Fey, no. Aisha might have worked but hasn't hosted a major talk show. I heard people say Ellen Degeneres, but she's become so out of touch and elitist IMO.

• Members

I'll say this much: kudos to CBS for not turning "Who Will Replace Dave?" into a months-long, drawn-out mess like I was fearing. They've made their decision, Colbert has accepted, so let's focus now on giving Mr. Letterman the best send-off possible.

• Members

It's almost become this big game. I think the first time I noticed it (I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time of Carson's retirement) was the musical chairs game on The View and when Kathie Lee left Regis and Kathie Lee. I'm so used to it now I'm shocked when it doesn't happen.

• Members

The whole story on Conangate, IMO, is in Bill Carter's wonderful The War for Late Night, which you can read on Kindle. A great book.

It's very sympathetic to him, but also very even-handed in its treatment of him, Leno, Letterman, all of them. Every person in late night has their say, either in direct discussion with the author or on background. In the end I think Conan had his moment years ago before he made the dumb deal with NBC to wait Leno out, and he didn't take it. When his time came he was a little too past the moment, and a little off. And now he's irrelevant.

• Members

There was a NYT article a few days ago that basically said Colbert was better off in niche cable and that's what draws attention today, as late night is irrelevant.

I feel like that applied more to Conan - I think Colbert, while not appealing to everyone, might be able to make the transition, and was smart to realize when it was time to say goodbye to the Colbert Report persona (which lasted a lot longer than I thought it would to be honest). Conan is the one I wish had moved to something like Comedy Central, as they need that everyman persona since The Daily Show has always been a "hipper than thou" show.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/arts/gauging-stephen-colbert-as-a-late-show-host.html?_r=0

Does anyone know if that 2006 or 2008 interview Colbert did as himself (I think it was for ABC) is around? I'm sure we've seen him as himself more often than I remember, but it's been a while.

• Members

I think you're both right. say what you will about Les Moonves and the types of show he puts on, but keeps CBS running like a well oiled machine. CBS is the best run broadcast network by far. But I also remember back during the Tonight Show drama, reading on Deadline, etc, that CBS had no intention of handling the Late Show like NBC did Tonight Show and that they never push Letterman out like NBC did Jay, instead, they'd let Dave continue on until he was ready to retire. Before Letterman, CBS had no Late Night presence, so least they could do is let him bow out on his own. Which they did.

As for Stephen Colbert, while it would have been nice to maybe hire a woman or person of color (or even NPH, a gay guy), after the big risk CBS took when they named Katie Couric the first solo female evening news anchor and blew up in their face, I totally see why they played it safe with The Late Show. There's still potential for someone that's not a "straight white male" to host a network late night program, rumor has it, Craig Ferguson's contract is up this year (some say June, some say not till end of year) and CBS isn't happy with his ratings. I wouldn't be surprised if CBS replaced him and try someone a little more risky, like a Chelsea Handler, etc...

• Members

I don't think Colbert is a "safe" choice at all. He's run probably the most biting political satire show in American broadcast history for years, and he eviscerated the media establishment and the White House press corps in a way they have yet to recover from. I can't think of any edgier choice, unless the idiot bloggers of the Internet want to hire some rando just because.

• Members

Ain't that the truth, lol. NBC has yet to recover from Zucker, and ABC...well, I don't know what's happening to ABC, except their biggest hits of the past decade or so are fading away and they're being caught with their pants down.

But I'm shocked about Craig Ferguson's ratings. Why aren't they any better? (I'm not necessarily a fan, but I figured he was connecting better with the audience.)

Archived