Ratings from the 80's

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is the only mention I have found so far of Greenburg, who I have never heard of before

Feb 81

Earl Greenburg, VP for compliances and practices, NBC West Coast, named NBC West Coast VP for daytime programs.

So that appointment doesn't cover the NY shows which at that time were Doctors,AW and Texas.

So there would have been either an East Coast VP or an overall daytime VP.

Perhaps NBC was operating differently in that era because details are murky. The time b/w Michael Brockman in 1980 and Brian Frons in 83 there isn't definitive info on the daytime VP.

• Members

Okay, found an article that credits Lucy at NBC DT 1978-81. Full article posted in NBC Daytime thread. Other dt execs in the period are referred to or quoted.

Also found Earl Greenburg & he was VP of DT at NBC & he was the gay exec who fired Wesley Eure for being an out gay man. That was in 1981. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

I am wondering about Guiding Light of the week 1/19 to 1/23. Because your data say, that tuesday was preempted, but as i remember right , in the middle of the episode they showed a special report. So that episode was not preempted completely. And the next day 1/21 wasnt the repeat of 1/20. So i think 1/20 was only on for about 15minutes

Edited by rsclassicfanforever

• Members

Sigh. Quote from an article I posted in NBC Daytime earlier tonight: The latest plot twists in "As the Daytime Executives Turn": Johnson, who served as NBC's vice president of daytime and children's television from 1978-81, ... 

Makes me want to 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The report says the preemption was for the Presidential Inauguration. The Presidential Inaugration is considered a "planned preemption" like Christmas or sports events. It is well known ahead of time because it takes place every four years on January 20. It goes on all day and there are no soaps at all, so it's not like an unplanned special report that only breaks into part of the show. It's very safe to assume that a soap is always preempted on Inauguration Day.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Per Nielsen, the Inauguration aired on CBS from 1001AM to 509PM on Tuesday 1/20/81. Nothing else aired in daytime on CBS that day. They have the quarterly hour ratings for that special report coverage. 

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 4/6/81-4/10/81 & 4/13/81-4/17/81:

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS (FAST NATIONALS): WEEK OF 4/20/81-4/24/81:

Note: With 1978 and 1979 now fully posted, I will start posting 2 charts from the 1980's on most days!

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 4/27/81-5/1/81 & 5/4/81-5/8/81:

Edited by JAS0N47