Ratings from the 80's

• Members

So amazing to finally clear up this Iran-Contra mystery! I don't think he reads here frequently, but I know that @feuxdelamour was looking for this information for several years! And of course if @Brolden is still doing his ATWT full episode list, he needs to check out all of these 70s and 80s posts! 

Such a goldmine for all our soap historians ( @JAS0N47 is in the hall of fame!)

Edited by BoldRestless

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Never thought about it but of course they would because when they began there were many half hour shows. My mother watched ATWT, AW & DAYS so that's what I began watching & they were all half hour. She ended up giving up ATWT after Lin Bolen went to work. I wonder if ATWT lost a significant number of fans due to the network expansion. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more info

• Members

The half hour ratings for the soaps are in the front part of the book (along with the full demos for each half hour). They are the average of the two-week period, however, so I don't think there's a way to figure out the weekly half-hour averages. 

However, in the chart pages, they do have the quarterly hour ratings listed for each week. For instance, the week of 10/15/84-10/19/84, "Days" had the following quarterly-hour average ratings:

1-115: 5.7
115-130: 6.2
130-145: 6.5
145-2: 6.5

11/18/85-11/22/85:
Press Your Luck...3.7/15

Press (1030AM) only had 81 percent clearance, airing on 168 CBS affiliates that week.

The show it lead into, however, Price Is Right 1 (11AM) had 99 percent clearance, airing on 208 affiliates. So, 40 CBS affiliates chose not to air Press.
Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

Thanks, Jason! I know that at the network level they take it down to the very minute. In an essay in "The Survival of Soap Opera: Transformations for a New Media Era" the example is given of network notes saying to stop doing whatever you're doing at 2:47 because they were losing significant audience. The writers had no idea what they were doing at 2:47. 

• Members

Not to derail the thread, but as far as network daytime game shows not named The Price is Right go, they really start to lose clearance from Fall 1986 through the end of the decade. That overlaps with Oprah going national and changing the syndication game.

• Members

Yes, but the ratings list a big gap, so I couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe it was a weather delay. The only other thing I could think is that they went to Local News due to a weather delay, but when I checked the newspapers, CBS experienced a power failure at the game, which caused a 43-minute blackout from 316-359PM. So, that's why there was no rating on CBS for those 43 minutes. 

So GL could be said to have been preempted that day by 17 minutes of NCAA Football and 43 minutes of a black screen!