PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly not even then. No business is going to abandon that kind of investment after three weeks. A full quarter maybe but not three [!@#$%^&*] weeks. That's the internet soap fan mindset of everything happens instantly: PP caused the ratings to drop last week, the OLTLers were responsible for the GH ratings boost, a million people will tune in or out with the change of HW, etc... This is also the mindset that says Frons was hired in order to destroy the soaps. That doesn't make sense.

Only in the hothouse echo chamber of the online soap verse do people assume that PP making changes means they are abandoning the project instead of trying to fix it. Now one can disagree with how they are trying to do that but the idea that they've just given up because the first three weeks didn't meet expectations is asinine.

• Members
Please.

This is like saying tuning out when a show is bad makes you less of a fan or not a real fan. That's bullshit.

PP are not angels who revived these axed shows out of the goodness of their hearts. The audience doesn't owe them anything and if they only want to watch one or the other there is nothing wrong with that and they shouldn't be punished for it. I think it's wonderful that these shows have been given another chance and am pleasantly surprised at the outcome of AMC. It's awesome that these casts and crew were given jobs, but that doesn't mean that the shows or PP get a free pass on everything. By your logic nobody should have ever criticized the networks or executives, because at least the shows were on and employing people and that's all that matters.

• Members

Yes. That while mentality of networks/execs do this this and this to kill show x has always bothered me. If they anted to cancel it, they'd cancel it! That simple honestly.

While I do see some logic in the thought of PP doing this just to draw out the new content, I don't think the main goal here was to abandon the shows and end them. If it works, they will keep on with it. They are a company here to grow their brand and make a revenue.

• Members

Again as I said why does pp launch these shows based upon principal of goodness of fans only. Oh I am going to put money into these shows and I'll be just happy if a soap fan sends me a smiley face and I'll jump for joy. Money is no issue we just want some soap fans giving us there little bits of sweetness. Oh ludicrous is that? Why would I even bother to license and invest in something and not want to make money. Some people need some classes on business 101. Isn't the little kid that sells lemonade in the neighborhood just doing it for the goodness of the neighbors? PULEEZE

• Members

And now I have to switch sides from my last post.

I've said it before and I will always say it: we are the customers. It is not our job to put ourselves in the position of the actors or crew.

I'm enjoying AMC. Not because I'm just so grateful to have it back - although I am - but because I'm genuinely enjoying the show. I've said before that it isn't my job to support the shows, it's their job to make me want to and PP has done that for me. I may disagree with some of the utterly insane complaints I've seen about the shows but telling people to shut up and be grateful isn't going to help. Gratitude isn't going to keep them on the air.

• Members

I don't consdier myself a PP love rby any means, but the logic of this just baffles me.

To think, as some of us have, that this was a bad public move (in the way that it was announced, etc), but ultimately probably will benefit the production model is not to be a member of the PP cult.

But I can't buy the "they should have understood the soaps and audience a little soonger." It's been THREE weeks. Soap opera people from Agnes Nixon, to Irna , and Bill Bell have all said that in the traditional model it takes 6 months to figure out how to make the show work (Nixon discussed why her shows, AMC particularly went through so many recasts and story changes in its first 6 months.) Irna actually thought a year--which is why when she created As The World Turns she made them sign a contract that it couldn't be canceled for a year.

An these were soaps in a traditional format by people very experienced in the genre. PP, for all their faults, could not see how these soaps worked production and udience wise until they started airing them (even if they had started production earlier before airing them, as they should have.)

Elsa, your posts are always smart and spot on--or have been when I've had discussions with you. But comments like these just make zero sense to me--it's not that I disagree with you even, it's just that I see ZERO logic behind it.

This confuses me--what am I missing. WOuldn't that be the same as making four half hour episodes?

• Members

And yet I think they've turned out solid product. Obviously some of what they've done is working--they also seem to have (thankfully hired strong people, at leastmostly for the actual show crews.

I don't disagree with what you say here--mostly except nobody forced revised endings for the network soaps. Yes, they were changed at the request of PP, but that was done as an expression of faithand good will on the networks part (which counts for something, but there was no gun to their head.)

Archived