Roger Ebert has passed away

I Am A Swede

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry to hear this. Yesterday, while I know he was being upbeat for the public, he was talking about how he was glad from now on to get to review what he wanted. And now I can't help thinking - he'll always be able to review just what he wants.

Siskel and Ebert was the only movie review show I ever really enjoyed - they bickered and argued, but out of respect and fondness, not the virulent PR-stunt crap we get now. And unlike other movie review shows, like that thing Medved had, I never felt like they were being paid for their opinions by the studios. I always thought they were being honest, and even when I disagreed, I respected them.

They were very funny too.

If you ever have a chance, you should check out some of his books. I haven't read any in recent years but he did on about ten years ago which listed every negative review (negative as in 1 star or less) he'd ever given. It was a very entertaining read.

Two thumbs up, Roger.

• Members

May he rest in peace but I think he was a destriment to film criticism. People used to read reviews where the reviewers had to articulate and convey thought. He and Siskel came along and it all devolved into "two thumbs up"

"Hey, you want to go see the new movie with Harrison Ford? No? It got two thumbs up!"

• Members

I don't think he was ever a detriment. He along with Siskel made film criticism accessible and interesting to the average filmgoer. They were never pretentious or,talked down to people who supposedly didn't "get" great movies, like most film critics do, and their criticism was never dumbed down but relatable. Like Carl said, they also weren't sellouts to the studios either. Both had their favorite filmmakers, Ebert loved every film Scorsese made even those that were not Scorsese's best, he fawned over, but I think it was because he really respected his talent and vision, more than trying to suck up to his idol.

I rewatched an interview Ebert and Siskel had with John Calloway back in 1998 last night on the local Chicago PBS station where their film review program originated, and they talked about why they felt they clicked and why their show worked. A lot of it was because they were individuals who got together once a week to debate and while they tended to agree on most occassions, they each added something unique to their reviews. They were also real rivals, even up to the day Siskel died, they were still competitive and had almost a love/ hate relationship that just worked well and resonated with people. It kind of makes me proud that 2 film critics from my hometown Chicago, became the defacto face of movie criticism, and still retained their local presence as film critics for the largest 2 papers in the city, and we're not famed into becoming "Hollywood" or "New York" like.

I followed Ebert on Twitter and his blog often touched on non film topics. He found his voice that way in his later years and I think generated a whole new audience. His last article on his blog that was really interesting was written a couple of months ago amidst the Popes resignation where he talked about being a Catholic who didn't believe in God and his years as a member of the Catholic church. I think the thing a lot of people didn't see in Ebert is yes, he loved movies and did a ton for independent filmmakers and film preservation, but he was a journalist first and a truly great writer.

His last film review that resonated with me was of Zero Dark Thirty. He was about the only reviewer who actually seemed to watch the film without the IT girl Kathryn Bigelow and the original Hollywood press machine crowning her as the next "Einstein of fillms" being a factor and gave it 3 stars, and didn't salivate over it like most critics did. And it was before all thr backlash started. He's had a habit in these past few years of giving so many films 4 stars, it was refreshing to see his voice back and giving an important film an honest review. And it's not that he dislikes Bigelow films. He loved her earlier The Hurt Locker.

I'll miss him especially in Chicago where it feels like he was the last local newspaper icon left, after losing Mike Royko and Studs Terkel. May he RIP and he can now join his friend Gene Siskel.

• Members

I think Roger and Gene were the absolute best and I never missed At The Movies. They didn't just give "thumbs up". They delved into the movies and weren't start struck. I loved their heated battles and miss them both terribly. WGN opened the news last night with a 15 minute dedication to Roger, and one of the producers, who's a great friend to both, says the fights were real, and sometimes, production stopped to give both a second to cool down.

I would love it if we had them both back to have a go at today's "talent". They would roast those chickletts aka Oscars being gifted to the "it" people today!

Miss them terribly :(

Archived