L.A. Noir

Vanguardian

• Members

A new pilot for a mob/crime serial has been ordered by TNT called L.A. Noir. It will be set in the 1940's and 1950's. Has anyone else heard about this? While it won't be based on a video game with the similar name called L.A. Noire, it will be based on a book called "L.A. Noir: The Struggle For The Soul Of America's Most Seductive City." The synopsis for the show goes like this: "L.A. Noir is the true story of a decades-long conflict between the Los Angeles Police Department, under the determined leadership of Police Chief William Parker, and ruthless criminal elements led by Mickey Cohen, a one-time boxer who rose to the top of L.A.'s criminal world. The series is a fast-paced crime drama set in Los Angeles during the 1940's and '50's. It's a world of glamorous movie stars, powerful studio heads, returning war heroes, a powerful and corrupt police force and an even more dangerous criminal network determined to make L.A. its West Coast Base." One of the executive producers is Frank Darabont from AMC's "The Walking Dead." I read the synopsis from the book that this is based on and if it's anything like the elements that's described in the book, this is going to be one hell of a show. I hope L.A. Noir is officially picked up by TNT because it sounds like my kind of show: Dark, fast-paced, shady and over-the-top characters, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, pass. First it is TNT so that means commercials, G rated language and kiddie mobsters. Next is the fact it is 40s gangsters so that means corny dialogue about coppers, dames, gumshoes and dolls. There might be a nice girl names Betty, a secretary named Effy, and Hollywood stars and heavyweight champions who love to drink at crime nightclubs. I saw this movie...3000 times.

• Members

I don't know about this just yet. I've just acquired the book in which this is based on and so far the material in it sounds quite good if the show uses some of it. Even the names of the actual people who lived during that era sounds interesting. I'm willing to give this a shot because they said it would be fast-paced. That makes me think they'll cover lots of ground with a great level of suspense, unlike Boardwalk Empire which bores me to this day.

Archived