From 2006: Stations that aired soaps at odd times

• Members

Didn't KDKA in Pittsburgh air GL early in the morning, around 9 or so? I remember reading that it was VERY popular in that time slot there. I can't remember if it was a day behind or not, though.

When did the Lubbock station put OLTL on again? They dropped it for awhile when Carla kissed a black man (can't remember the character's name), even though she had already kissed JIm Craig (who was white--this was before she was revealed to be black).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure if there was an official time slot for SuBe. I remember seeing it at (I'm guessing) 10 or so on the NBC affilate in Fort Smith-Fayetteville, AR (pretty sure), and I think the DC station (WRC) showed it at 11. I don't know if it was ever on at 3--did NBC even bother with soaps at 3 PM after Santa Barbara was gone (and even before it was there were stations showing it in late night/early morning slots)?

I don't think WMAR in Baltimore ever aired Port Charles, even in a late night/early morning slot.

• Members

I thought it was weird how for years WMAR would air GH a day behind at noon, and they showed Rosie at 3 pm.

GL in Pittsburgh only moved to the mornings the year it was cancelled. Traditionally it was one of their strongest markets, but when it was going away they changed their schedule to reflect the replacements. By that point, GL was no longer a day behind (even if people had morning broadcasts if they were 10 am EST or later).

• Members

Okay, I was confused about the Pittsburgh stuff. Thanks. Was it on in the 3 PM slot beforehand?

I NEVER knew about the GH/WMAR stuff--and I grew up a few hours away from Baltimore! (but closer to DC--I watch the DC stations primarily).

I remember reading that Loving did very well in larger markets such as in New York or LA, even when smaller markets had better ratings for Y&R (or of course, didn't show it at all).

• Members

Yes GL was at 3 in Pittsburgh. There was a time in the early 80s (I was told this as I have never lived in Pittsburgh), that GH wasn't shown on the ABC channel that people watched in Pittsburgh.

Loving doing well in NYC would not surprise me as it is an ABC soap town (not anymore), SIGH. Terri Conn (Aubrey on OLTL, Katie on ATWT) made a comment about how she never got recognized in NY for Katie a role she played for years, but less than a month in at OLTL people recognized and stopped to talk to her.

• Members

I've read that Loving got higher ratings than Y&R several times in the major markets, ie. New York, Los Angeles, and possibly Chicago (which is odd, considering that was the Bell's home base for years), Boston, Philadelphia.

It's been mentioned before that CBS's main audience was in the south and midwest, whereas ABC's main audience was the northeast and west coast.

• Members

That sounds right to me. My grandmother in AR watched ATWT for years (and I think watches B&B now), I live in MD and was primarily a OLTL fan. Yay for geographical fanbases! laugh.png

I would love to see a list of stations that never carried particular soaps at all, especially Port Charles, since I know there were many affiliates that never carried it for its entire run. That, or a list of stations that put The Edge of Night all over the schedule or dropped it at some point on ABC.

Archived