SOD Best and Worst of 1993

• Members

Sorry if this was already posted. If you want more detail on any of these just ask.

Most Entertaining Couple - Bo/Billie, DAYS

'' Boring '' - Nick/Mindy, GL

Best Plot Device - Brooke Owns BeLieF, B&B

Best Courtroom Drama - Marty's rape trial, OLTL

Best Contemporary Story - David's plight, GL

Most Preposterous Plot - Three Keys Mystery, AW

Most Realistic Teen Story - 90210 kids go to college

'' Unrealistic '' '' - Karen stripping, GH

Best Tearjerker - Jack's heartbreak, Y&R

Best Wedding - Frank/Eleni, GL

Worst '' - Jack/Laurel, AMC

Best Female Comeback - Martha Byrne, ATWT

'' Male '' - Randolph Mantooth, Loving

Best Trend - Adolescent Angst

Worst '' - Ghosts

Best Father - John, DAYS

Worst Mother - Dorian, OLTL

Best Daughter - Emily, ATWT

Worst '' - Kendall, AMC

Best Wife Cindy, 90210

Worst '' - Lauren, Y&R

Best Brothers - Dimitri and Edmund, AMC

Worst '' - Ridge and Thorne, B&B

Best Location - Banff, AW

Worst '' - Orlando, Loving

Best Bickering - Kirk/Lucinda, ATWT

Best Triangle - Sally/Jack/Stephanie, B&B

Worst '' - Cord/Tina/Cain, OLTL

Best Woman on the Edge - Vivian, DAYS

Best Wacko - Ryan, GH

Best Breakup - Julie/Dylan, GL

Worst '' - Jack/Jennifer, DAYS

Best Confession - Powell, OLTL

Most Shocking Twist - Sheila visits Scott, Y&R

Funniest Story - Willow Lake, AMC

Most Convoluted Story - Kingsley/Malta, ATWT

Most Improved Shows - OLTL, B&B

Best Primetime Breakup - Jane/Michael, Melrose

Most Contrived Conflict - Danny/Cricket, Y&R

Most Ruined Character - Julia Barret, GH

Most Intriguing Character - Carl Hutchins, AW

Best Quad - Roger/Jenna/Buzz/Nadine, GL

Worst '' - Hutch/Rosanna/Evan/Debbie, ATWT

Best Story - Victor's Death, Y&R

Best Limited Run - Mary Kay Adams, ATWT

Worst '' - Joe Lando, GL

Best Reconciliation - Ryan/Vicky AW

Most Realistic Couple - Bo/Nora OLTL

Best New Male Character - Buzz, GL

'' Female '' - Hope, Y&R

Most Long Awaited Love Scene - Felicia/Mac, GH

Hottest Love Scenes - Ridge/Taylor, B&B

Best Shows - GL, Y&R

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats a shame and he'll most likely never be on Days ago bc they were SOOOO popular back then. They were definetly my reason to tune in. Id kill to have Billie back and RKK playing a long lost Dimera. Too bad, I guess sad.png

Anyways, thanks for the write up!

• Members

Julia went from this hot but cool business women to this stupid sex toy with AJ and whoever else it was. I loved Julia and Bill.

I actually have this issue of SOD.

I didn't like Billie and Bo because I liked Bo and Carly. I started watching DAYS regularly because of the Bo switch. I couldn't believe they fired this crazy popular guy and wanted to see what this original-Bo/Hope hype was all about. That scene with the puzzle box opening was awesome.

• Members

I didn't see Julia's first time on the show but I enjoyed her in her 1997 return. It's too bad they never wanted to bring her back on a more permanent basis.

Did you agree with their AMC choices? I was surprised there was no real mention of some stories that some fans didn't seem fond of, like the Dixie/Tad/Brooke stuff.

• Members

The thing about Dixie/Tad/Brooke is as atrocious as Tad/Brooke were and as awful as it was to run through Brooke, Brooke/Edmund it was entertaining torture on the Tad/Dixie obstacle side.

The AMC choices are okay. 1993 was the last great year for soaps.

• Members

So here's the quick sum up:

RKK's Bo ROCKED! He acts his face off, love him or hate him. Sizzled with Rinna. Stay away Reckell train= Me on it.

Brooke & BeLief= Best B&B storyline in the first 6 years. There's a reason why the story has the initials B&B people. KKL should have scored her first Emmy nod that year.

Hutch was hot. I'd watch Rosanna and Debbi (Sharon Case) fight over him any day.

Hilary B. Smith's climactic moment in the Marty Rape Trial was the culmination of courtroom brilliance. And the actor who played Powell stole the story from Howarth IMO. However, Haskell stole that Supporting Actress Emmy from Signy Coleman. Why the bitch didn't go Younger Actress I'll never understand.

Victor's Death storyline got me through Santa Barbara's death. Y&R was the creme de la creme, Cristale of soap operas back then. I relished that hour like no other. And I think Jack's heartbreak was over his child's death with Nikki, which was palapable. I always rooted for Jack/Brad and couldn't stand Victor but loved me some Hope and especially Hope/Nikki, the true supercouple.

OLTL & B&B were Most Improved, but so was DAYS.

GL was good but Y&R was better and truly, AMC & OLTL both were better than GL in 93. But still, Y&R was finely tuned drama that no other soap could touch back then. There was no comparison and is none, at least in 93.

• Members

It's nice to see your posts again! I hope you can post some in the AW thread, since I am finally getting through a few more 1991 episodes...

I thought Hutch was OK, just dull. The problem was that the story with Rosanna seemed so lifeless, and Debbie was so obvious and silly. There was a real lack of energy in Rosanna's stories until Carly arrived.

I skipped a lot of 1993 GL because most of my favorite characters were gone, but I can't say I shared most of SOD's views (aside from hating Nick/Mindy). For instance, in one photo they praise the show for the story of Alan-Michael falling for Lucy. I HATED that story and I couldn't believe they were wasting him on that twit. I also hated Buzz and Buzz/Jenna as a couple. The only time I liked him was with Nadine and that was usually Nadine as second fiddle.

• Members

Thanks so much for sharing Carl. 1993 was really I first year I paid attention to so many soaps outside (six total at the time!) so I'm glad to see this. All six shows were pretty good, some on fire (Y&R's Victor story), some just goofy but fun (AW's Cristy Carson story)

Y&R's Victor's death story is definitely one Y&R's all time greatest storylines ever. As for ATWT's Lily I fell in love with Damian and Lily the pairing seemed to spark and be alive compared to Holden and Lily. I think Lily seemed more independent that year too, showing off her new hunky Euro husband around and divorcing herself from Lucinda.

B&B's BeLieF of course is a definitive moment in B&B's history and drove so much story for the next decade.

Surprised to see Carly buried alive didn't garner a mention since it was the highlight of Days that year but Bo and Billie were the IT couple of '93/'94. The Jack and Jennifer break-up was indeed dumb and was an insulting way to exit out Matthew Ashford. It would not be the last.

I absolutely loved GL in '93. Yes it had flaws like Ann Hamilton Mindy vs. Eve, George, and Joe Lando's stint but on the other hand we had amazing stories. Maureen's death and it's aftermath, Buzz being alive and well with a new family, Bridget/Dylan/Julie, David on the run, and Who Shot Roger? all made for some brilliant and compelling drama and the mostly well cast ensemble at the time could rise above those flaws of the show. 1992 may have been slightly better but GL in '93 was still standing strong.

• Members

I forgot all about Max and "Death" and Luna and Bobby Ever (was he Bobby love too? I think I blanked most of that out). At least it was kinda stylishly directed lol but yeah--pretty awful.

And yes Orlando (Universal Studios Florida--since this was pre Disney owning ABC)'s location shoot for Loving kinda sucked--it was the Faison story (I never got why they brought over a random GH villain for that).

• Members

I liked the Tad/Brooke/Dixie triangle at the time, lol. I dunno if I would now--I had only been watching since '91 (and was 13) so had less history with those chareacters. Though I admit I really liked Brooke and Edmund (I do agree with Edmund/Dimitri as best brothers--for a while after the Marrick saga finished I liked their bond). I think AMC was still very strong in 1993, and actually expected to see it nominated for more things on that list--but I agree with Angela and others that a number of the soaps were in very good shape at the time (even Loving was picking up again).

Was Labine at GH by then? What's this stripping story--it doesn't sound like what I'd associate with her...

Archived