Classic AMC/OLTL

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's funny it didn't really register with me watching it the first time as a major plot point, but now how you guys describe it I wonder how it could not have

As much as I defend and love much of McT's AMC, she was the worst for reusing stories, often a generation later. That said it's a common soap thing--the greats like Marland, Bell and Nixon all did it on their various shows--I guess it's hard to do so much original story. But McTavish was particularly blatant.

etc...

Erin was appealing but really never had any use after her introduction protecting Jonathan. They also had a number of similar women at the time (Annie pre crazy, Di to an extent).

Poor Aiden. I like the character but he really should not have lasted as long as he did (of course pratt wrote him out in typical Pratt style) When some were shocked and upset when he ws let go, I honestly thought it was something they should have done way back. He worked best as a very B (or C?) character to help move some plot. I mean did he even ever interact all that much with Anna (who I think was his aunt? was Alex is mother?)

Yes. Josh--the horrible unabortion genesis aside, had a lot of potential as a character, he was played by an actor who both had soap looks and actual talent and charisma with a bunch of actors. I don't know if after McTavish all the writers were burned on the character due to the fan upset about the unabortion or what--maybe Frons just never liked him.

• Members

While I never droped OLTL, this was definitely by the time I would watch while literally barely paying attention, doing chores, etc. Not only was Higley's stuff often offensive, mostly it was just SLOW and boring. I *vaguely* remember a fiary tale or something special episode... After having fun special episodes during the Tomlin era, OLTL had a number of bad ones. (I remember Fan February, something I guess they only tried once or so, had the fun Tad episode on AMC--OLTL on the other hand had one where different characters would be in different badly done genres of movies--the Bucks had a western, and I remember Flash and Joey and Antonio and others were in some horrible Matrix mess).

• Members

I don't even remember the exploding house, but I thought her drama was largely awful--either offensive or poorly paced and done. I suppose, while a DAYS rip off the execution did have good pacing for that part of the story...

I did like Miles, the actor was great and he had potential. I think he got a classic non exit.

• Members

Thanks Scotty for posting those! Ok, I admit they're not as bad as I remember (I think I blocked out the Starr one)--it ws the "Votex" one that just seemed like a complete bust, though it wasn't helped by the characters it featured. I'd forgotten about the Tad in joke which was cute especially airing right after his AMC episode, and The Bukes has good moments (was that Clint R's last appearance?) though man stupid Priest Joey looks even stupider in a cowboy hat...

I admit weareclouds that my memory of the whole Higley run (which was several years actually I guess) is a mumbled mess I lost so much interest. The Tate OPP story always kinda confused me lol, but I do remember the house vaguely now...

• Members

Ugh. Priest Joey. BMH was a terrible Joey. So glad I missed that time period of the show he was on.

They had three great Joey's before. And, one good after him. (the first Joey that played him as a teen (I cannot remember his name), Nathan Fillion, and Don Jeffcoat) and then Tom Degnan after BMH. Why oh why does he have to be associated with that character. :(

• Members

You're welcome.

Clint Ritchie made one more appearance as Clint after that in 2004 (the Fan February thing was 2003), when Viki underwent heart surgery (see clips below). And they're not too bad...the Buchanan one was okay. OLTL could so have done a Western with them.

The Lindsay/Nora/Tad one I just didn't care for, the Vortex one was stupid, and I think I blocked out the Starr one too....I had almost forgotten about it as well. laugh.png

• Members

There was always a sense of nostalgia from some fans when the show moved away from the Clint/Viki era (and of course some were happy for that shift and that now Viki would no longer be "weak" - goodness knows the Viki of later years was certainly a tower of strength...), and then the whole mess with taking Jessica's parentage, which was a pure storyline, and makng it about Mitch raping Viki on her living room sofa. I took this as a little bit of lip service to the past, and what some fans missed.

As silly as some of the Western thing was I loved the moments at the end, with family, and warmth - that's something which we would never really see again with the Buchanans sad.png

Archived