July 11-15, 2011

Toups

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm glad Days showed a little life in the ratings this week. I'm interested in seeing the gay storyline play out, but nothing is really happening with it right now. EJ's fall out is just recycled drama. I don't find it interesting at all. I think Days is sorta at a Standstill until September. It's obvious that some stories are being tweaked to showcase Marlene & Darrell's vision for the show.

• Members

I keep reading posts and on podcasts about how OLTL viewership skyrocketed since cancellation news broke. It's true OLTL has been ABC's #1 soap since week of 4/18 but May, June AND thus far July are averaging LESS viewers than April and OLTL has been bleeding 18-49 viewers:

Month Viewers 18-49 Demo

Apr 2011 2,598,048 670,000

May 2011 2,561,667 647,000

Jun 2011 2,552,636 644,400

Jul 2011 2,562,900 613,500

It's a very good question if Prospect will care about demos if they go to some subscription format??

Also, it's the 12-34 year olds who are the majority watching online. That demo just helped Trueblood break HBO's previous online viewing record. The question for Prospect is will OLTL's aging viewership make the medium change?

• Members

I admire your persistence in pointing out the ridiculousness of trying to put a positive spin on OLTL's ratings. These shows were cancelled because their 18 to 49 women demos are horrendous given their production costs. What is interesting that GH's 18 to 49 women demo has also collapsed recently. In most of the country, GH is aired before Oprah which makes me think that GH's 18 to 49 women demo is linked to Oprah's cancellation. It will be interesting to see what happens to GH's demos when it is last soap standing.

I think that fact that a subscription service was mentioned means that Prospect cares about the demos, after all it will be collecting demo info when people subscribe and no doubt they will hire Nielsen to track online viewership. I think that OLTL and AMC online might be completely different shows so as to attract a new younger audience.

• Members

Know it all Ann_SS actually posted this: GH is aired before Oprah which makes me think that GH's 18 to 49 women demo is linked to Oprah's cancellation.

HUH????? Oprah was cancelled?? WHEN did that happen?

Oprah CHOSE to end her show.

And just for the record, in my market, Oprah and GH are on different stations. So wrong on so many levels.

• Members

The soaps had a pretty good week in particularly on Monday and Tuesday.

B&B

Monday: 2.3/3,185,000

Tuesday: 2.2/3,153,000

Y&R

Monday: 3.4/4,662,000

Tuesday: 3.3/4,703,000

I want to start out with B&B b/c it gets overshadowed the most despite its ratings uptick over the last month and this is out of the struggling Y&R.

DAYS

Monday: 1.9/2,761,000

Tuesday: 1.8/2,474,000

Wednesday: 1.8/2,630,000

DAYS has been the best soap in my opinion over the past couple of months and last week was EJ in hell week. That Monday viewership is the highest I’ve seen DAYS in a while. This is good news for DAYS as their not taking a break like they usually do during the summer and they’ve got to build for the September 26th reboot.

GH

Monday: 1.9/2,572,000

Tuesday: 1.9/2,484,000

Little bit surprised that GH rose like it did, some people seem to be happy about it lately so that’s a good sign for them.

OLTL

Monday: 2.0/2,858,000

Tuesday: 2.0/2,733,000

As usual the power in the ratings as OLTL has become its own machine this season. OLTL is fast approaching getting over 3 million viewers

AMC

Monday: 1.8/2,446,000

Tuesday: 1.8/2,446,000

AMC has actually gotten better lately which is good as their about to move online on September 26th which is right around the corner. Unfortunately its too late for AMC to get any ratings like OLTL is getting as quality doesn’t equal ratings in the short-term but the long-term.

• Members

Jnewt I love you. A really bright spot round here. THough I would question those OLTL statements after viewing another ratings chart from above. I think team Eric put it together. I do hope OLTL hits over 3 million viewers but if Todd doesn't do it for them then I don't think it will. I do think OLTL numbers will peak once this TODD thing is over if it hasn't happend already. just a few years ago. Y&R was able to pull in over 5 million viewers it hasn't done that in months maybe even a year. Correct me if I am wrong some one.

• Members

I bet GH will have decent ratings for the next few weeks. Fans are going to watch for GW's new material and promised changes. Time will tell if they stick around.

My personal opinion is slightly better writing for the same few characters and same couples will not make a significant, lasting ratings change. Bringing on more new faces won't bring in the viewers either. Actually, I'm not positive there is a way to bring back the lost fans. Guza's destruction of especially the past few years has driven away all but the hardcore loyal fans.

Archived