Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soap Opera Network Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kitty Foyle

Featured Replies

  • Member
1 hour ago, danfling said:

soap opera historian Ron Lackmann speculates that "perhaps the story was too familiar, or perhaps once the basic story was told, there was nothing else to say about Kitty and her problems."

Looking at the schedule, it seems like it was the lone soap on NBC at that point, plus their inability to create a long running soap at that point bar Hawkins Fall (which "only" ran five years) and then a new format to boot? It was also against Art Linkletter at the time; still it was odd how quickly they gave up on it; Today Is Ours didn't do much better, so maybe they should've just moved it up a half hour to see how it did when From These Roots premiered to build a block.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Paul Raven
    Paul Raven

    THE EVENING STAR Washington D. C Week of March 9-March 15, 1958 Miss Murray's Star Rises By BERNIE HARRISON Kathleen Murray, the Brooklyn-born actress who stepped into the lead role of NBC’s ambitiou

  • Member
6 hours ago, danfling said:

and then a 1942-44 radio serialization created by soap opera giant Irna Phillips

I have never seen any mention of Irna Phillips being involved with Kitty Foyle.

  • Member

The serialized version on the radio was created by Irna Phillips and produced by Frank and Anne Hummart.  The soap opera was broadcast from October 5, 1942 to June 9, 1944 on CBS.   Its sponsor was General Mills.

  • 2 years later...
  • Member

THE EVENING STAR Washington D. C Week of March 9-March 15, 1958

Miss Murray's Star Rises By BERNIE HARRISON

Kathleen Murray, the Brooklyn-born actress who stepped into the lead role of NBC’s ambitious daytimer, Kitty Foyle, after one of the longest stage waits in history (five weeks), now thinks it was maybe “a little too long.” The other characters in the daily drama set the stage and talked about Kitty for that period. The buildup was helpful—Kathleen had a chance to dash down to Philadelphia apd soak up some Main Line atmosphere and visit Griscom Street in the “Foyle” suburb of Frankford— but somewhat overpowering.

“We’ve got six months to make it in,” she said “To get sponsors, I mean.” That’s Miss Murray, though—frank about her chances, inquisitive and alert. And like Miss Foyle, the Irish Miss Murray has a sense of humor and a bit of a temper. ’ A nationally syndicated TV columnist had some unkind things to say about the TV Kitty Foyle, particularly in comparison with the movie version (Ginger Rogers). “I don’t understand how critics can review it seeing only one day’s episode,” the puzzled Miss Murray said. “They’re entitled to their opinion, but shouldn’t they watch it for a week, or at least a couple of days?”

I met Kathleen when she was here understudying the lead In the ill-fated comedy, “Maybe Tuesday,” just after word of her selection to play Kitty was announced by NBC. She came into the office wearing an everyday blouse and skirt, knee sox and sneakers. She uncovered a chair littered with last week’s papers, leaned back, grinned, and said “What do you want to know?” She had four fans in the office from that moment. “They auditioned 190 actresses—that’s the last figure I read,” she grinned. “My agent told me about it and sent me over. That’s all that I know about it.” We talked about Kitty and she said she hadn’t seen the movie (which came out when she was a little girl—1940) and I said I hoped NBC would be a little more conservative about her wardrobe. It was a fine picture, but Miss Rogers flashed around in clothes that were far too expensively cut.

When I talked to Kathleen on the phone the other day, I asked her what she thought of Kitty and the show now. “I’m very much satisfied,” she said. “We have a wonderful costumer. The clothes aren't terribly rich or chic. And the writing is far superior to the usual daytime soap opera.’ “And,” she giggled, “the acting is superior, too.” “What does your husband think about it?” I asked. (Hubby is Actor Joseph Beruh, who is featured in the Broadway drama, “Compulsion.”) Kathleen didn't pause, although this isn't precisely a fair question. “He likes it. But he thinks it’s slanted for women, rather than men.”

The story, if you haven’t been following it, has been updated. Kitty, for example, took a plane to her father’s bedside (which would have earned her a daredevil reputation in the original Christopher Morley book). The experience of working in a daily show has had one curious effect on the young actress, who got her first training off Broadway with the Circle-in-the-Square players. “I find that I’m able to memorize faster. It seems to have activated that part of my brain. It used to take me two days to memorize a scene, now I can knock it off in an hour." “I also find that I allot my time better,” she added, “I make the most of a subway ride now. I sit there mumbling lines to myself.” A veteran of TV shows, Kathleen didn’t have any problems adjusting to the small-screen techniques. “I never was the type of actress who overplayed,” she pointed out. “TV isn’t too different from Circle-in-the-Square.”

  • Member
22 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

“We’ve got six months to make it in,” she said “To get sponsors, I mean.”

I guess this explains a lot of these early short-lived soaps. Lack of sponsorship.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.