Suburgatory: Discussion Thread

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

“SUBURGATORY”

Single father George only wants the best for his 16-year-old daughter, Tessa. So when he finds a box of condoms on her nightstand, he moves them out of their apartment in New York City to a house in the suburbs. But all Tessa sees is the horror of over-manicured lawns and plastic Franken-moms. Being in the ‘burbs can be hell, but it also may just bring Tessa and George closer than they’ve ever been.

Tessa (Jane Levy) and George (Jeremy Sisto) have been on their own ever since Tessa’s mom pulled a “Kramer vs. Kramer” before she was even potty trained. So far, George has done a pretty good job of raising Tessa without a maternal figure in their lives, but suddenly he’s feeling a little out of his league. So it’s goodbye New York City and hello suburbs. At first Tessa is horrified by the big-haired, fake-boobed mothers and their sugar-free Red Bull-chugging kids. But little by little she and her dad begin finding a way to survive on the clean streets of the ‘burbs. Sure, the neighbors might smother you with love while their kids stare daggers at your back, but underneath all that plastic and caffeine, they’re really not half bad. And they do make a tasty pot roast.

The show stars Jeremy Sisto (“Law & Order”) as George Altman, Jane Levy (“Shameless”) as Tessa Altman, Carly Chaikin (“The Last Song”) as Dalia Royce, Allie Grant (“Weeds”) as Lisa, Alan Tudyk (“V”) as Noah Lerner and Cheryl Hines (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”) as Dallas Royce. Ana Gasteyer (“Saturday Night Live”) guest stars.

Emily Kapnek (“Hung”) writes and executive-produces this bitingly ironic single-camera comedy. “Suburgatory” was directed by Michael Fresco (“Raising Hope”), who also executive-produced the pilot. It is produced by Warner Bros. Television.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

It premiered very well. It grew from The Middle. 9.8 million and a 3.3 in A18-49 demo. From ABC:

Building on its lead-in by double-digit percentages among viewers (+14%) and young adults (27%) at 8:30pm, the series debut of Suburgatory opened as ABC’s biggest comedy premiere in the half hour in 8 years with Total Viewers and in 6 years with Adults 18-49 – since 10/1/03 and 10/12/05, respectively. Similarly to its lead-in, Suburgatory overshadowed its comedy competition in the half-hour, more than tripling the delivery of NBC’s Free Agents in viewers (+216%) and Adults 18-49 (+230%). In fact, the new ABC comedy tied Survivor in the slot among Adults 18-49 and beat the CBS reality series by an impressive 59% in Adults 18-34.

Topping the year-ago debut of Better with You in the half-hour by sizeable margins in viewers (+24%) and young adults (+32%), Suburgatory produced ABC’s largest audience in the slot with a comedy telecast since November 2003 and its top young adult number since November 2005 – since 11/19/03 and 11/16/05, respectively.

• Members

I thought it was often cute, but much more obvious in its satire than I expected. With the awkward' girl's voice over, the crazy parents, etc, I admit it reminded me a lot of MTV's Awkward--except Awkward is about 100x better in every respect. That may be unfair--I love a lot of the actors on Suburgatory, but I was definitely disappointed--maybe I would be less so if Awkward hadn't premiered in the Summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I still can't believe this show hooked me in after the network cancelled it. But that last scene where the girl and her boyfriend, um, re-connect in the middle of the street (and half-naked) was fantastic in an odd sort of way.

Archived