OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I thought the same thing re: the dialogue. :D For some reason I have a hard time imagining NP yelling. I feel like she would have delivered that in a soft and slinky way.

Man cannot live on one Daytime to Remember episode of NP's Dorian alone. :(

When that ep aired I was praying we'd get some NP Dorian and I was over the moon when she walked up behind Pat.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

At least her creation will probably live on all the way to the very last episode. I hope she'd be proud of that, although given the way OLTL treated her I couldn't blame her if she didn't care "atall."

I wonder if this timeline was the last time Dorian would practice medicine until Dorian's brief stab at this again in 2004.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

And that wasn't even a FULL episode I don't think--I *think* that episode aired after the switch to 45 min episodes in 76, no? (But can't remember the full dates)--of course even the Daytime to Remember episodes that were shown in two parts had minor edits (which I realized when I compared the AMC "Tom finds Erica's birth control pills" DTR episodes with the one shown on the I Love Lucci marathon and a few scenes were missing from other stories--and oddly the DTR episode had bad sound which the SoapNet Lucci didn't--yes I watched those tapes WAY too much). And of course poor OLTL was largely stuck with episodes cut by a full half cuz they only got two weeks as opposed to AMC's three and GH's four, but I remember clearly that when DTR was announced OLTL wasn't even going to get episodes...

(So yes, OLTL has been treated unfairly by ABC :P )

• Members

And then the OLTL DTR segments ended up being the strongest, especially compared to GH, which was panned by Michael Logan.

Erika Slezak runs the gamut of her range in this wonderful clip - a little overwrought, yet heart-tugging all the same.

They somehow manage to make Delilah look a bit rough. I think this was when Shelley Burch was having all the eating disorder problems.

• Members

OLTL was the one I was most excited to see too--which may sound odd as I was more of an AMC fan particularly in '97 when I felt OLTL suddenly had become so awful--but I had seen AMC's 25th anniversary clip week and the 20th special, etc--but nothing major for OLTL... And yeah I remember GH being largely pretty bad--Luke and Laura heavy, etc, though the Tracy QUartermain ep was classic (and fun for me as I had just become a huge fan thanks to The City.

• Members

From Afternoon TV 1969

On July 15, One Life to Live celebrated its first anniversary. This show, in the course of one year, has become one of the most popular soaps on afternoon television.

Encouraged by Bill Kimbrough, the D.A. (Justin McDonough) to do volunteer work, Meredith Lord (Lynn Benish) took a job in an orphanage and met Wendy (Jan Chasmar), an orphan girl who has had a serious operation.

Jan is one child who will never have the problem of shyness. She's already adjusted well to TV work.

Hospital aide and everybody's friend is Sadie Gray (Lillian Hayman). She has come to see Larry Wolek, (Mike Storm), who is in the hospital after an accident. Sadie tells Larry about the day that Vince and Viki ran away.

One lovely day in the park for Sadie Gray, Wendy and Meredith Lord. When Meredith was very ill, she broke up with Larry Wolek because she did not want to be a burden to him. Now she is well, but Larry has been forced into marrying Karen Martin (Niki Flacks) because she is pregnant.

Vince Wolek (Antony Ponzini) is in love with Niki – the split personality of Victoria Lord (Gillian Spencer). The other part of Victoria's personality, Viki, is in love with Joe Riley (Lee Patterson).

Viki had agreed to marry Joe Riley, but in the middle of the wedding ceremony the personality of Niki came out. Vince wants to marry Niki. Though she likes having fun, Niki is not crazy about the idea of getting married.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

From Nov 71 Daytime TV

History:

Announced as Between Heaven and Hell, this serial’s title was changed when it premiered on ABC Network July 15, 1968. Agnes Nixon created One Life to Live, after a long career that included her co-creating As the World Turns, writing Guiding Light for nine years and Search for Tomorrow and Another World for periods of time. Don Wallace, executive producer of Edge of Night and producer of From These Roots as well as writer of Life Can Be Beautiful and other serials, was announced as executive producer of One Life to Live, and Doris Quinlan and Walter Gorman its co-producers. The initial story was listed as “unique and contemporary serial drama,” taking place in Philadelphia and its Main Line suburbs, and “drama that could happen everywhere today” … “because, wherever one looks, there is a pluralistic society, with the clashes and conflicts, the fears and furies, the angers and loves, the hates and lusts which motivates man and make his life so terrifying and fascinating.” Interestingly enough, Miss Nixon lives in a huge house in Bryn Mawr, Pa., with her businessman husband. The premiere cast consisted of Gillian Spencer, as Victoria Lord; Trish Van Devere, as Meredith Lord; Paul Tulley, as Larry Wolek; Doris Belack, as Anna Wolek; Antony Ponzini, as Vince Wolek; Lee Patterson, as Joe Riley; Thurman Scott, as Dr. Price Trainor; and Jack Crowder, as Lt. Ted Neal. Only Doris Belack and Antony Ponzini remain.

Cast:

DORIS BELACK ----------------------------- Anna Craig

LYNN BENISH --------------------- Meredith Lord Wolek

HERB DAVIS ------------------------------ Bert Skelly

ERNEST GRAVES --------------------------- Victor Lord

ELLEN HOLLY ---------------------------- Carla Benari

JANE BRANDON ---------------------------- Cathy Craig

ALLAN MILLER ---------------------------- Dave Siegel

NAT POLEN --------------------------- Dr. James Craig

ANTONY PONZINI -------------------------- Vince Wolek

PATRICIA ROE -------------------------- Eileen Siegel

ERIKA SLEZAK -------------------- Victoria Lord Riley

MICHAEL STORM --------------------------- Larry Wolek

LEE WARRICK ---------------------------- Julie Siegel

DAVID SNELL ----------------------------- Jack Lawson

FRANCESCA JAMES --------------- Marcie Wade MacKenzie

BERNARD GRANT -------------------------- Steven Burke

TOM LEE JONES ----------------------- Dr. Mark Toland

Cerdits:

Producer: Doris Quinlan; Associate Producer: Charlotte Weil; Directors: Neil Smith, David Presman; Writers: Ted Dazan, Gordon Russel; Casting Director: Joan D’Incecco.

• Members

Thanks for typing this up. I didn't quite realize just how quickly there was cast turnover - when Doris left in 1977 or 1978 that meant there were no more original cast members. That must be a record for such a long-running soap.

• Members

From Newsday 1997 Written by Connie (aka Marlena) Passalacqua

With the quality of many classic soaps (CBS' "As the World Turns, " "Guiding Light, " ABC's "One Life to Live ") eroding last year because of exceptionally poor writing, angry longtime soap fans want to know when they are getting "their " shows back.

First to answer is Maxine Levinson, executive producer of "One Life to Live " since mid-October. Levinson, a highly respected executive at ABC Daytime for 17 years, left her position as the senior vice president of daytime programing to take over the helm of "OLTL. "

"Will the show come back? I'd say yes; I certainly wouldn't be here if I was saying no. Keep your eyes on your TV set, " says Levinson. Since last March, when Emmy-winning head writer Michael Malone left, "OLTL's " traditional emotionally rich drama has degenerated into a series of superficial, gimmicky plots, drama containing little emotional connection or character subtext.

But last month, Levinson obtained the services of head writer Claire Labine, most recently the double Emmy Award-winning head writer at "General Hospital. " Labine, who will start next month, specializes in intelligent, character-driven drama, the kind that routinely wins Daytime Emmys for performers and shows. As a network executive, Levinson worked with Labine when she was at "GH. " (Labine also co-created and co-wrote the now-canceled ABC soap "Ryan's Hope. ")

"Knowing that Claire and her son co-head writer Matt are at the helm of this writing team means that I have some of best writers in the business, " says Levinson. "From there everything falls into place. What I believe, the big changes here will be richer, deeper stories, stories that make you laugh, stories that make you cry, stories that make you want to be in Llanview.'

Which is an answer not specific enough to satisfy viewers who have to wait until at least March, when Labine's stories start airing. Levinson promises "our first big story' will be for the show's two leading characters, Viki Buchanan (Erica Slezak) and Dorian Lord (Robin Strasser). Both actresses had been underutilized last year.

Levinson says there's also a major story planned for the recently underutilized Bo and Nora Buchanan (Bob Woods and Hillary B. Smith). The once-promising romantic heartthrob character of Patrick Thornhart (Thorsten Kaye) should also receive a boost from Labine's writing. "I have a woman on staff who wrote Ryan's Hope,' " Levinson says. "If she can't write to the soul of an Irish poet, then who can? " She also says recently returned audience favorite Roger Howarth (snide antihero Todd Manning) has signed a new contract. It extends into the fall.

But how could the show have killed off one of its most popular villains last year (Carlo, played by Thom Christopher)? How could a major network let an entire soap be so abysmally written for a full year? Levinson won't answer questions about "OLTL's " problems prior to her becoming executive producer. "What happened yesterday is over. I can't do anything about what has already happened. Let's look forward to see what we can do. "

• Members

Yes i remember 1997 was a dark year especially for Viki. Although Dorian and Mel were interesting to watch. I just know viki was mostly seen at Llanfair with Clint panting all over her trying to get her to sleep with him. That's when she consolted Doctor Maude (Ex-Maeve Ryan's Hope.) That could have been a good story but from what i remember she had a few sessions and then that was it. She still couldn't commit to Clint into 1998 and eventually he married Lindsey Rapport and then divorced her and left town. Viki just pretty much stayed in the back ground the rest of the year helping her children.

Viki didn't get a good story again until 1999 when Ben came along.

Edited by BKuzak