OLTL: Discussion for the week of April 4

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this is a valid point (and OLTL has been particularly bad lately at shoving green newbies down our throats, though it's a soap prob in general) but... And I feel bad picking on the teen, even if he is a bully :P but I just don't think he even has any natural chops. He makes early Destiny look brilliant (OK maybe he doesn't do what she did--which was say things that were meant to be serious in a sing song voice with a smile, but...)

• Members

I'm far from Shane's biggest fan but considering who he was given to act opposite I thought he aquitted himself well. I coulda done with him not hanging by half a hang for so long from the railing--and the fake falls didn't even make sense to me (so he looked like he jumped but after commercial we found out he was just crouching down? WHA?)

• Members

Roseanne was Téa's niece not sister.

As for rest of show.

TIIC continue to ignore JPL and FF cannot handle dramatic material. AW is out-acting them by a mile.

Dayum FL and ME share chemistry but I hate the very idea of Téa even appearing to kiss John's ass for a minute.

Blair should recognize Jack's dismissive attitude towards Marty also in herself but that requires some real honesty and introspection which the character sadly lacks. The hypocritical mom raging about Jack's cruely to others and being wrong to get off on revenge games is a non-starter with Jack b/c he knows she never practices what she preaches. Blair needs to get Jack to counseling fast not taking away his internet!

Brody, oh you heroic Navy Seal, are so going to regret judging Marty harshly and are getting way too attached to Natalie and Liam. His world is so going to crash down on his head.

Ted's best work has been with KM.

I always hated dumb Charlie and glad Viki will be free of him. I never thought I'd say it but bring on Viki and Clint reunion, ES and JVD do spar well and feel more equals.

• Members

Blair's been sanitized to death into this saintly, moral mother parody.

Violent behavior met with more violence only begets more violence behavior. Any good shrink would have told her using physical force against Jack just reinforces message it's acceptable to hurt others when you are angry. She should have controlled herself and admitted, Jack, I've struggled with anger management for decades and almost killed a man due to one of my red rages... I want you learn earlier than I did. I think THAT approach would have shocked Jack into actually listening for real to her. And yeah she should have dragged him to a shrink pronto.

Cheap, the one wrestling scene I remember was when between Blair and Starr when they were living at the Buke mansion and Starr was rebeling against Max.

• Members

Blair is not written as any mother at all most of the time. She and Starr haven't had a real relationship in years. Jack is obsessed with Todd and has been for years. Sam is a nonentity.

Todd has assaulted his kids, his wives, and the boyfriends of his daughters, and that just makes them love him even more, so if the show claims Blair doing the same is wrong, it will be strange.

• Members

Blair slapping Jack was a very natural and honest reaction. She wasnt thinking about the psycological implications at that moment. That slap is soemthing I can see a real mother doing in real life, heck any woman after Jack's comments

Are you sure? I was almost positive it was at LaBoulae. Thanks for letting me know what it was about. That slipped my mind

thats why he said parody. Blair's been inconsistent with her moterhly roles to the point that she comes across as a joke when she does put her mother hat on

• Members

I don't think she comes across as a joke, I just think it's bad writing. Kassie is believable with the kids, just as Florencia is believable with them even though I am still horrified every time they try to pass Tea/Starr off as any loving relationship. The problem is the women are so irrelevant in terms of relationships on the show that it's tough to invest when suddenly they have Blair involved again. It's the same as the whole "Cramer women" stuff, although thankfully this seems to have been dropped for good.

• Members

I think I may be the only one who somewhat enjoys this show. LOL!

I thought Kassie was amazing yesterday (And I am NOT a huge fan of hers)

But as always, OLTL's HORRIFIC casting department fails at every turn..

The Shane stuff was well written but the acting was ABYSMAL to very good from moment to moment. BY THE SAME ACTORS.

The kid who plays Shane was all over the map, Farah started out horrific but then somehow managed to touch me a little. JPL was just JPL.

We all know that the kid playing Jack is worse than a newbie in a 3rd grade play, he was somewhat better yesterday, but...

I don't know if it is OLTL's tough production model that makes these under 35 actors so horrible or what.. I undermines what could be gripping stories. And why does the show INSIST on giving the most challenging storylines to actors who aren't up to the challenge? (JPL, FARAH, and the kid- Leukemia anyone? I remember laughing through those hospital scenes.. Man.

• Members

I think this could be part of the problem. Who knows how many scenes they have to film in a day. This could be rough on the inexperienced.

IMO, line delivery should be the first issue tackled. Nothing pulls me out of a scene quicker than an actor who sounds like they are reading their lines. I'm willing to forgive almost anything else in a newbie.

I think some people are just more interested in the details than others. Many people here have a background in the dramatic arts and I think that's why they notice details and like to critique them . I don't have that sort of background, so I never notice production values, such as lighting, unless someone else points it out to me. I also rarely notice background music, but this board has an entire thread dedicated to the subject.

Archived