OLTL 1981 set

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, this is not the carriage house on the Llanfair estate. In the 1970's, there were two carriage house sets on One Life to Live. The carriage house on the Llanfair estate was occupied by Tom Edwards and later Dr. Larry Wolek, his wife Meredith Lord Wolek, and their son Danny. Meredith originally lived in the main house. She and Larry moved into the carriage house when they married. It was there that Meredith, Danny, and Vinnie Wolek were held hostage by Ben and Earl Brock, a pair of thieves. That one night lasted nearly five weeks of air time in the summer of 1973, and ended with Meredith's accidental death. I presume that the current carriage house on the estate is meant to be the same one, but it is not the same set. Larry and Meredith's home was a second story apartment above the carriage house.

When Viki and Joe married in September 1974, Viki had been living at Llanfair following her separation from Steve Burke. Joe refused to live at Llanfair, and Viki did not relish the idea of residing in Joe's bachelor apartment. They decided to look for their own home in which to raise a family. On an outing to search for a house, Viki spotted a dilapidated old carriage house. She and Joe stopped to look and fell in love with structure. They hired the original builder to remodel it into a contemporary home. Joe and Viki moved into it in the autumn of 1974. That carriage house is the set shown in the youtube clip. Viki continued to live there with Kevin and Joey following Joe's death in 1979. Viki remained in the carriage house until she regained Llanfair from Dorian circa 1982.

• Members

Finally! I'm so glad that you knew this answer "saynotoursoap." That is exactly right. I hate when people insist it's the Llanfair carriage house.

I know you said this is a new set from the one that Merri and Larry lived in but this set has been around for decades now. It looks about the same as it did when Tom Dennison and Mary Lynn lived there back in 1986. I bet it's the same way it was when Echo lived there in the early 1980's. Maybe that's when they remodeled it. I'm just thrilled it's still used today. I remember when David Vickers moved in and then when Kevin and Joey used it as a batchelor pad when Jean Randolph made it uncomfortable for them to live at Llanfair. then Jessica threw Natalie off the staircase balcony in the early 2000's when she found out natalie was still having an affair with Seth. very funny scene.

• Members

Apparently there is still confusion on this topic.

B Kuzak was commenting on my post in which I explained that there were two carriage house sets on OLTL in the 1970's. Joe and Viki's carriage house is the set shown in the Youtube clip embedded above. The original poster asked for someone to identify it. Viki and Joe's carriage house was NOT on the Llanfair estate. Viki and Joe did NOT live at Llanfair. Viki & Joe's set was used from September 1974 until the early 1980's.

There is a carriage house on the Llanfair estate. It was first occupied by Tom Edwards. Larry and Meredith Lord Wolek later lived there. That SETTING has been around since 1969. B Kuzak DID refer to the Llanfair carriage house in the 2nd paragraph, pointing out that this set has been used since the 1980's. I made a point that the carriage house set shown in the 1960's and early 70's was different from the set used in the 1980's, the one still being shown today as Rex and Gigi's home. It is the same setting (on the Llanfair grounds), but a different set design.

• Members

I remember Viki and Joe's carriage house very well. Did Clint ever live there after he and Viki married or was her move to Llanfair timed with their wedding? I didn't watch the show much between 1981 and 1984, which I think was the period of the Ralston influx and Ivan Kipling's reign of terror. BTW, didn't Jenny and David live in the Llanfair carriage house for a while. I picked up the show big time in 1984, and I distinctly remember Jenny, free of David and thrown into the whole Viki-Tina storyline, living in some house on the Llanfair estate. Was that the same set that Larry and Meredith had lived in years earlier? It's all a little hazy.

• Members

Yes, One Life to Live was not afraid of stretching the days. Agnes Nixon did this previously with the Marcy Wade story. Marcy intended to murder Vinnie Wolek and frame Viki for the crime by making everyone believe that Niki Smith was the culprit. The story lasted for many months. It climaxed with Marcy drugging Viki, changing into Niki's clothes, and going to Ernie's Bar to shoot Vinnie. That one day started around December 3, 1971, and ended on January 4, 1972! It lasted so long that the writers had to skip Christmas and New Years to conclude the plot.

In 1982, Sam Hall wrote a party climaxing in the death of Olympia Buchanan. The party also lasted a month of airtime.

Archived