Burlesque

Mr. Vixen

• Members

Okay, I just saw this movie today...I have to say, despite bad reviews, I thorougly enjoyed it.

Of course, I absolutely adore both Cher and Christina Aguilera, so maybe I was a tad biased going in, but nonetheless, I loved the movie.

Cher- Her acting was strong, as always. She was very entertaining. And her musical numbers were FANTASTIC. My one gripe is that she didn't have enough singing, but her powerhouse song "Last of Me" was just beautiful.

Christina Aguilera- Her acting is good. She's not gonna win an Oscar by any means, but she was pretty strong. Very loveable. And that VOICE. Mother of god, she just has this mousey little voice talking, then she belts it out so effortlessly.

Cam Gigandet (sp?) - He was loveable. Entertaining. Had good chem with Christina. Good choice.

Kristen Bell - Fantastic. This was her first role, really, that she didn't play a sweet loveable girl. She was a reeeeal bitch. And she played it very, very well. She was strong as always.

Stanley Tucci - Fantastic as ALWAYS. He added such a great element to the movie. He and Cher had mad chemistry as BFFs. He's just hilarious. Great addition to the film.

Julianne Hough - Albeit, a relatively small part, she was entertaining. Very entertaining. She added some laughs, and girl can DANCE!

Eric Dane - He's good. There isn't much room in his role to shine though. Good looking, shady business man, crooner. He plays it well, for what it is.

Overall, I liked the film a lot. Sure it had a cliched plot of "small town girl, big town voice"...But it was executed well. The dancing and singing were fabulous. Acting performances were strong. There was a light tone to much of the film, but it had a good amount of underlying soapy drama to keep things moving.

I thouroughly enjoyed it, myself.

It gets an A from me!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of the reviews I've read have claimed that this makes Showgirls (which has since become a huge cult classic for all the wrong reasons) look like Oscar-winning art.

There's several reviews I've read that have been annoyed by Christina's over-singing and lack of natural delivery as well.

This is one of the reviews that made me chuckle: http://www.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/movie_reviews/129560/ny1-movie-review---burlesque-/

• Members

There are only two good things in this film, Kristen Bell & Stanley Tucci.

It is very deserving of the horrid reviews it is getting. Christinas acting is, as expected, mediocre and everyone around her is so good and it makes her look worse. She stuck her over singing of the past few years, and that was saddening.

The movie sucks. it is so formula 101, it belongs on lifetime. In fact it was one of those hallmark movie of the month type movies, with a bigger budget and musical numbers. I am glad i saw it in a screener, because id hate to waste money on it, but i do see anything with Kristen Bell so i would have had too (yes, im a crazy VMars fanboy)

Archived