The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Administrator

OMG!! That was one of the best episodes so far. What a crazy and sad ending!! The moment I realized that Sophia was one of the zombies when they started the firing squad on all those zombies in the farm, and I was like, "Holy sh!t!! I think Sophia is going to be the last one to come out." And then she did.......the looks on everyone's faces....Carol running towards her zombiefied-daughter, Daryl stopping her, Carl crying and Lori's arms, Lori telling Carl to "not look," and then Rick, the leader, comes forward, aims his gun and fires it. Notice that Rick doesn't kill any of the zombies until Sophia. The directing was also phenomenal!

I have to say, even though Shane is the villain, I like him. I like his contrast to Rick - I also love the Rick/Shane dynamic. Shane takes drastic measures to get things done. After he knew Lori was pregnant, that was when he decided that the zombies in the barn had to be killed - to protect Lori and "his baby." I love this scene:

Shane: Are you kidding me? You see what they're holding on to?

Hershal: I see WHO I'm holding on to.

Shane: No, you don't see.

Rick: Let us do this, then we can talk.

Shane: (yelling) What do you want to talk about, Rick? These things ain't sick! They're not people! They're dead! Ain't got to feel nothing for them because all they do - they kill! These things right here! They're the things that killed Amy! They killed Otis! And they're going to kill of us ---

Rick: Shut up!!!

Shane: Hershal, man, let me ask you something. Can a living breathing person, can they walk away from this? (shoots the female zombie)

Rick: Stop it!!

Shane: That's three rounds in the chest! Someone who is alive, could they just take that? Why is it still coming? (fires more shots) That's it's heart, it's lungs!! Why is it still coming? (fire more shots)

Rick: Shane!! Enough!!

Shane (walks towards the female zombie): Man, you're right.....that is enough. (shoots the zombie in the head) Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! Enough living next to a barn filled with things that are trying to kill us! Enough!! Rick, it ain't like it was before. Now if you all want to live! If you all want to survive, you gotta fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now!!

I also like and Maggie/Glen's romance. Dale has been annoying lately, which him trying to hide the guns and being all "you have to tell the truth".

Also kudos to Bear McCreary's background music during the last scene. He's such a great composer.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I found the episode pretty boring up until the final 10 to 15 minutes. I suspected that Sophia had been turned and was in the barn, but it was still shocking to see her shuffle out.

I wish Dale had shot Shane who is way pass his sell by date. Shane who was clearly never the most right headed person is spiraling out of control.

I was glad that Glenn told Maggie some harsh truths about the zombies, but then he hesitated and got her permission to shoot them.

• Members

I'm glad he did though. It was her mother and brother, even if we don't believe they were still human, she is new to that viewpoint. I thought it was pretty evil of Shane to kill those people on Hershel's land when he still believed they were only sick humans. Shane had no right, but he doesn't care. Rick respected Hershel's beliefs and his property rights, but it's clear to me that Shane will kill Hershel, if that's what it takes to stay on the farm.

I felt really bad for Carol and Daryl. Daryl really believed that they would find Sophia and she would be ok. It's like he thinks his redemption was linked to bringing her back. Sad that he hates himself so much he turned on Carol when she suggested his life was worth something too.

• Members

You are right. I had not considered how traumatizing this must have been for Maggie. Glenn really is such a good guy. I quite adore him.

The approach to Hershel is what separates Rick from Shane. Rick was trying slowly bring Hershel to reality about the zombies so that they could stay on the farm with less rancor. Shane wants to kill anyone who stands in the way of getting what he wants or doing what he thinks is right. He would sacrifice everyone, other than probably Lori, which makes him dangerous to the rest of the group. Dale is the only one who sees that right now, but you have to think that eventually people will figure this out and when Rick finally faces that truth, it will be the end of one of them.

Daryl is a wonderful character. Norman Reedus does a fantastic job of portraying Daryl's struggle and inner torment. I cannot imagine what kind of terrible upbringing he must have experienced with Merle, but Daryl is slowly overcoming his past.

I hope that they plan to do more with T-Dog because he is merely the token African-American survivor at this point.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The walking dead keeps breaking records.

They had 8.1 million viewers with 5.4 in the 18 to 49 demos.

ATTENTION AMC PLEASE RESTORE THE BUDJECT! Since they took a huge amount to put into Mad Men which no one watches!

The funny part if u read the comics Shane dies in the first book loll.

• Members

Wow, fantastic ratings for TWD. It was a great premeire. AMC must be in heaven. It cut TWD's budget and the ratings have increased so that means more profit.

It is really great that basic cable networks have started picking up scripted shows. TWD would have never made it to network tv.

I know. I think the actor playing Shane is so good and Rick needs an antogonist so they are keeping him alive longer.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

I don't know what freeballing is, but Mad Men did get the vast majority of AMC's budget. It was in the news awhile back and Kurt Sutter when off about it on twitter causing a stir. Some say that's the reason WD lost it's original show runner. I don't know about that, but I know the guy who runs Med Men got a sweet deal by all accounts.

• Members

I'm just getting to the party.

Last week I watched all of season 1's episodes on Netfix 3 times each before the marathon on AMC.

Then watched that marathon of season 2 up to the newest one.

It was awesome watching it all for the first time so quickly and together.

I had heard about the show, but never really paid attention to it.

It is now by far my favorite ''new'' show!