DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I mean, it probably was.  For whatever reason, Bill Bell wasn't ready to take the next step with the story, so he likely employed an extended flashback as a means of stalling.  I think all the soap scribes, including Irna Phillips, were guilty of using that method.

• Members

Possible.

I think it was the Hayes' that once said that when soaps went to 60 minutes, a lot of soaps started to include characters singing in order to pad out the runtime, so I can imagine them doing the same thing here with flashbacks

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Lol!  It almost seemed like that was a weird mistake and they forgot to say cut, so the two actors just started adlibbing about change.

I am not a fan of singing.  Unless it's a Nurses Ball related thing-I prefer to not hear it.  It reminds me of GH in the 90's where you had to watch characters react to Ned/Eddie Maine singing for 3 minutes weekly.

• Members

Patty Weaver (Trish Clayton) had - and presumably still has - an amazing voice.

I watched the clip of the fire, and it’s a little upsetting to see Julie sitting there hurt and crying. I didn’t like the storyline that followed it, although Lee made me laugh.

I was pretty young when these episodes aired. Was Susan Seaforth Hayes hammy back then? Or is that a more recent development? I’ve seen some daytime leading ladies like Robin Strasser and Jess Walton chew the scenery more as they get older.

• Members

From everything I have seen SSH has always been hammy.  But it fit the times you know?  I just don't think Susan ever scaled back so that's why everything seems OTT now.  Although people like Deidre and Suzanne are much more subtle back then and are hammy now.  I do think, and correct me if I am wrong, the 60's style of acting was much different than the 70's though. 

• Members

LOL. As Caroline says, I guess it was the style. And Susan Hayes isn’t alone.

The one who I always thought gave controlled performances back then was Victoria Wyndham - Rachel on AW. She seemed more disciplined than her peers. Rachel fought a lot with Mac, but I don’t remember her getting hysterical. Even in the older clips where she’s torturing poor Alice, she’s angry but not over the top.

• Members

I just think it's more of a theater thing with these early actors in soaps.  They are selling to the cheap seats and haven't quite figured out a soap audience.  

I think Susan Flannery is subdued on Days (from what very little I have seen).  

SSH never really changed her style of acting and it does work for Julie most of the time.  She's just a fiery character (no pun intended about the stove fire lol).  She is just a different type of character from let's say Marlena, who is more reserved.  Julie literally is hammy and OTT.

• Members

I’d call her style subtle. Flannery is another one who was disciplined and controlled. She had a career that most working actors would envy, but she should have been a bigger star than she was. She probably stayed on DOOL too long if she wanted to do primetime or features - it becomes more difficult to jump the longer you stay, because you get pegged as a daytime actor.

• Members

Susan got Towering Inferno while she was on Days.

Did she ever talk about how that came to be?

Did she take much time off Days to do the movie?

But once she left Days there wasn't much.

The Moneychangers mini series got great ratings but she was one of many.

Women in White was an NBC mini series that was a possible series that never came to be.

There were a couple of TV movies.

Then she did Dallas and not much more. Was she focusing on trying to get a foothold in directing/producing in the early 80's?

She accepted the lead in Scruples but that soap got cancelled at NBC when Frons took over,I think.

So I guess by the time B&B came around she was ready and needed the work.