The Guardian: 50 Dramas of All Time

Sylph

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Sopranos?!?

Brideshead should win this easily.

I am surprised I, Claudius is not on that list considering how well it was received and how even to this today it is copied in shows like Rome and Spartacus. I have to admit, while I am a hardcore Brideshead supporter, I know many people think The Singing Detective is better.

• Members

This is from earlier this year, isn't it? (I could swear I read it before...) Anyway, I admit I'm a sucker for lists, even if I rarely agree with them. Sopranos, :yawn:. One prob I have is it seems unfair to compare full series with miniseries. Brideshead is one of my fave things to have come from tv, ever, but it seems pretty hard to compare it directly to Buffy let alone EastEnders--writing fora miniseries or movie just has such different prorities compared to an open ended series...

A few odd choices (and I admit to not knowing a number of the British choices). I thought the first year or two of The L Word was surprisingly good, but I never expected to see it on one of these lists... )On the other hand I'm all fot he love for Davies' original Queer as Folk). Nice to see some lesser known titles--I'd almost forgotten about Our Friends tot he North which was absolutely outstanding (though being based on a play cycle and being a miniseries I have a hard time putting it next to, say, X files).

• Members

Ok, makes sense. Anyway, I like these lists to create discussion, but as others said it's hard to accept them as fact (especially when I saw that the Guardian just recently said that the rather flawed Showtime series The Big C--which I'll prob watch all of for Laura Linney--is yet another "brilliant American drama on an exciting idea" :unsure: )

Archived