All- Times when age differences (Or lack of) affected your enjoyment of the show?

• Members

For example right now on OLTL we have the very 16 year old- looking Dani going out with someone who looks like he will be turning 30 pretty soon. Also a few years ago on ATWT they had Parker (who played by a 15 year old) date Liberty (who was played by a 21 year old). After finding out that It was pretty awkward watching them makeout everyday. And on the other side of that we had on AMC Dixie and her son JR who looked like he was just about nine years younger than her :) .

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't even watch B&B like that, but the Donna/Marcus thing bothers me, she is not, and she does not look like she's old enough to be his mother.

BTW, I just looked it up to remind myself of the exact age difference (I knew they were both born in the '70s), and why does Texas Battle's Wiki now list him as being born in 1980, 1976 further down in the article?? :lol: The devil is a liar.

• Members

I can buy SORASing/year bending, I think futzing with Kendall's age through dialogue on AMC made the situation feel a little awkward, I don't like to *feel* the eff up if you know what I mean.

• Members

Right now on GH, Johnny and Kristina. I think they have a good story and theres so much potential if GH went forward and made them a couple but she looks like a little kid. It would work so much better if she were a 20 something playing a teen

• Members

The Belle SORASing on Days always threw me a bit -- not because she was 5 one day and 15 the next, or whatever (I mean, that's what SORASing is!), but because it screwed up the backstory for Belle and Sami. They continued to reference how Sami had kidnapped infant Belle and tried to sell her on the black market, but Sami would have had to have been about 5 when she did it for that to work. It got worse when Martha Madison, who looked the same age as Alison Sweeney (Sami), took over as Belle. If Sami hadn't been on the show when they SORASed Belle, it might've been better, but she was a major character and they kept referencing the kidnapping.

• Members

The most obvious choice would be B&B's Jackie and Nick who have always looked more like siblings than mother and son. Every time I see those two together and Jackie calls Nick "Oh Nicky" I just have to laugh.

BTW, they SORASed Hope this year so shouldn't Alexandria be next? But I guess they will forget about her anway because she's neither Ridge's nor Brooke's child.

• Members

speaking of which, I think they are specifically ignoring Little D(Eric) bc they SORASED Hope to 18. He should be older than her but theres no way that Rick and Amber can pass for having a child who is at least 19. Y&R just had him SORASED to 11, but he'd have to be at least 19 now considering he was conceived before Deacon was even introduced and got Brooke pregnant with Hope. B&B and Y&R screwed up here

• Members

GH - Olivia as "mother" to Dante. I don't know the age difference in real life but that weathered face and that ridiculous hairdo which screams middle-aged man trying to remember his youth really do Newcomer DZ no favors.

Y&R - They have cast some rough as hell actors in "young" roles in recent years. I still can't forget when they tried to hype up the photoshoot with boxing Billy and Cane, and between that leathered and puffy face and body, Billy Miller somehow managed to look older than Daniel Goddard, who is pushing 40. He looked like one of those aging Western stars of the 60s. And let's not even get into Marcy Rylan, who somehow manages to be 25 going on 52.

• Members

It was just a play on 25, I don't actually think she looks 52. But she looks much older than she did on GL. I guess some of that is down to dealing with childbirth but she looks way beyond what this role is supposed to be, and she behaves like a middle-aged person desperately trying to get attention because they need to feel young. She's like a very unpleasant cross between Dina and Lindsay Lohan.

• Members

I asked bc you've said the same thing about Dante on GH and have been serious. She's about 30 and I think she looks about it. Unfortunately Abby is intended to be younger, hence the immature behavior and talk, not to mention how her parents treat her like a child. It bothered me at first but Im willing to overlook it bc I do love Rylan and think she's been doing great considering the crap she's been given

• Members

I don't really notice Rylan's performances because the writing is just so awful and the character is pretty much an empty shell. Y&R is actor-proof. I wish they could get new writers and producers and they could give her a less pathetic storyline. As it is now I just can't get into anything she does.

I actually would say that DZ looks a bit close to 40-50. :lol: I did a double take at some of the photos posted of him at the Emmys and he doesn't look that much better on the show.

• Members

In reality, I should hate the Barbara/Henry romance on ATWT. Henry is approximately the same age as Barbara's son Paul, who has to be at least 35. This means Babs is in love with someone 35 years her junior. How could you root for that couple in the long-term? But CZP abd TD are just SO good together, I'm willing to give them a pass.

The one I can NEVER get over is Sami and EJ on DAYS. Sami was plotting and scheming when Elvis was born, so she is approximately 20 years older than he is. I can accept SORAS when it's done gradually, but the Sami/EJ thing is just ridiculous.

• Members

Seeing the name Quent reminds me of Nola and Quint's son, "J", brought back in 1996 with George Pilgrim. George looked MUCH older than Rebecca Budig, the recent Michelle recast. It was a creepy and unpleasant relationship. Fortunately, he quit the role after five or six months, basically telling Michael Logan that he wanted to get out of daytime early because he was just so good, or whatever. His last credit was a 1998 Addamm's Family TV special, as "Hungry Guest"...

Back to Y&R, the story sucks no matter what the age, but remembering that James Storm is not all that much older than Jess Walton (6 years!) makes the story about Neil being Jill's father even more ludicrous.

Archived