Successful presentation Popular Culture confab

edgeofnight

• Members

I wanted to let everyone know that my presentation 'Memories of The Edge of Night' at the American Popular Culture Association Annual Conference in St. Louis, Missouri, based on my chapter in the forthcoming book,Survival of Soap opera: Transformations for a New Media Era,' University Press of Mississippi, Decembe 2010, was a resounding success.

Thanks to Mark Faulkner, I was able to also show a four minute clip chronicling Edge's 28 year history (I received special permission from Telenext to do so).

The presentation had a special air of poignancy because I delivered it on Friday afternoon, April 2, which was Edge's 54th anniversary.

I can't thank all of you enough for your help and encouragement in putting this presentation together.

I had a wonderful lunch with Donald May in early March, and had a wonderful time. I also received a beautiful photo and note from jeanne Ruskin (Laurie Ann 1973 - 75), Millee Taggart, Jennifer Taylor among others.

Thank you, all.

• Members

Congratulations!

Fanatastic to hear that you are keeping the memories of Edge alive.It seems you have been in contact with Mark Faulkner.Does he have any plans for his website? I always worry that it will one day disappear.

Please keep us posted on the book and any other related happenings.

• Members

Congratulations!

Fanatastic to hear that you are keeping the memories of Edge alive.It seems you have been in contact with Mark Faulkner.Does he have any plans for his website? I always worry that it will one day disappear.

Please keep us posted on the book and any other related happenings.

Here is the blurb from the advertising flyer for the book 'The Survival of Soap Opera: Transformations for a New Media,' University of Mississippi Press.

The soap opera, one of U.S. television's longest-running and most influential formats, is on the brink of disappearing. Declining ratings have been attributed to an increasing number of women working outside the home and to an intensifying competition for viewers' attention from cable and the Internet. Yet, soaps' influence has expanded, with serial narratives becoming commonplace on most prime-time TV programs. 'The Survival of Soap Opera: Transformations for a New Media' investigates the causes of their dwindling popularity, describes their impact on TV and new media culture, and gleans lessons from their complex history for 21st century media industries.

The book contains reflections from established soap scholars such as Robert C. Allen, Louise Spence, Nancy Baym and Horace Newcomb, along with essays and interviews by emerging scholars, fans, and website moderators, and by soap opera producers, writers and actors from ABC's General Hospital, CBS's The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful, and other shows. This diverse group of voices seeks to intervene in the discussion about the fate of soap operas at a critical juncture and speaks to longtime soap viewers, television studies scholars, and other media professionals alike.

All of the contributors' names are listed on the flyer in alphabetical order. My name immediately precedes Tistan Rogers from General Hospital. Wow! Am I in good company, or what?

Afterwards, I received so many nice compliments about my presentation and about Edge. One of the participants was none other than Kay Alden (formerly - associate writer for Y&R, and now with B&B). I made a terrific hit with everyone.

I was at the Save Our Soaps rally outside CBS, protesting ATWT's cancellation on Friday. I proudly displayed my 'I'd Rather be Watching The Edge of Night' tee-shirt. Not only did I get a lot of positive feedback from the fellow rally participants, but one passer-by actually wanted my shirt. He said that he loved Edge.

I also wore the shirt at the ATWT final luncheon on Saturday. Both ATWT and Edge premiered on CBS, as the first 30 minute shows on April 2, 1956.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to co-write a History of Edge with mark Faulkner. Many are encouraging me to do so.

Archived