OLTL ticks off another ethic group...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really? I'm Irish American and I just don't get their point. What did Roxy's scenes have to do with stereotyping or bigotry? Is Roxy even Irish? I mean, maybe I would see their point if only Irish characters were playing drunks, but I don't think that is the case at all. All kinds of people use St. Patrick's day as an excuse to get drunk and drink green beer. Not much news in that.

• Members

Same here...I'm part Irish (my paternal grandmother's grandparents immigrated from Ireland to the U.S. in the 1860's), and I wasn't offended by it either. And it's just typical Roxy behavior. Apparently, they don't regularly watch the show, or else they would know that.

• Members

Yeah, I just don't see how Americans celebrate St. Patrick's day as any sort of stereotype against Irish people. It's a holiday used by all kinds of Americans as an opportunity to get drunk and have some fun.

In Ireland people may use it as a day to go to mass and such, but that's not how Americans roll. :lol:

• Members

I guess some people see it in sort of the same way that certain people view Halloween.

But it's all done in the name of fun....it's not like Americans are intentionally trying to piss off the Irish or anything like that.

• Members

I think they lost me when they said they've never seen a worse case of bigotry. Please! What bigotry? Maybe they should have just pointed out that the way St.Patrick's Day is celebrated in the U.S. is not traditional and given us an overview of the traditional celebration and the reason for it.

• Members

It is obvious that the guy doesn't watch the show his wife does was upset by it and pointed it out to him and he in turn became upset about it, yet either way it was a stereotypical scene depicting how some people preceive Irish people as heavy drinkers. For someone not familiar with the show and just catching a glance it does look bad, doesn't matter if you are Irish and it didn't bother you it did this Irish man and his wife.

• Members

But so what? Just because this guy is offended that does not mean he has a logical argument and we all have to agree that those scenes stereotyped Irish people. I have yet to hear anyone explain where the bigotry in those scenes lie? This guys argument was incredibly weak. Who were the Irish people we saw drinking heavily? Has Roxie ever been identified as Irish? I've been watching this show for years and have never heard her identify as Irish. Yes, the scenes were cheesy and OTT, but that does not make for a case of bigotry.

If any group of people being shown drinking on St. Patrick's Day is bigotry (never mind the worse case of bigotry someone has ever seen)then the word has been expanded to the point of being meaningless.

Archived