OLTL ticks off another ethic group...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Never said it was a case of bigotry yet if he never saw the show before how would he know who is Irish or not, the show put on a big to do of the celebration shouldn't someone at least be Irish. Unfortunately for someone with no history of the show the scene is what it is a stereotypical display of Irish Americans or anyone celebrating on St. Patrick's Day the fact that we associate the day with heavy drinking is a stereotype within itself and the thing with stereotypes is that they are born from some truths it just is what it is.

• Members

It wasn't a St. Patrick's Day celebration. There was a sign up saying "29 days until St. Patrick's Day". Basically, it was a gimmick by the bar to sell beer.

Exactly! He doesn't know, so why accuse a show bigotry without having the facts? Why should someone at the celebration be Irish? It's a bar, the people may or may not be Irish, but it's not a stereotype, if we don't even know their ethnicity. :blink:

Some complaints deserve to be dismissed. Absurd ones that have no basis in reality like this one for example.

• Members

I already stated that accusing a show of bigotry without having the facts is stupid but it doesn't discount the fact that a stereotype was being displayed. The stereotype that Irish are heavy drinkers was on full display (Roxy's attire), the stereotype that St. Patricks Day is a day to get drunk was on full display (Roxy, cops at bar doesn't matter your ethnicity) is there any truth to these stereotypes yes which is factual for all stereotypes. Weren't there cops in full dress at the bar, why would cops not actually involved in the celebration be in full uniform. Full dress is usually worn by those actively participating in the parade(I assume some sort of parade/celebration was going on for the John/Bo to be in full dress), participants in the parade usually have some sort of affiliation with the premise of the parade in this case Irish heritage.

The man was just letting off steam I doubt that he is going to start a huge boycott, but I bet he just confirm for those non-soap watchers that soaps are a waste of time.

I agree this complaint was way off-base and deserved to not be taken seriously, yet it is complaints like this in the mainstream media that gives soaps the bad rap that the have and it is scenes like the one being talked about that while to soap viewers are funny will get someone flipping through channels to keep channel surfing.

• Members

Well that would be a loss to soaps. I actually have not enjoyed OILTL much this past week but LIKED that they celebrated St Patty's day, particularly as it was in a way that (shock horror) I felt was realistic and could relate to. IMHO this is exactly what soaps need MORE of.

The site itself does seem pretty serious--I don't think him trying to get a boycott of ABC was just some random blogger blowing off steam :P

• Members

If their ethnicity doesn't matter, then it isn't much of a stereotype. :unsure: Who is being stereotyped here? People who get drunk on St. Patrick's Day? St. Patrick's Day itself?

If people of various ethnicities participating in a typical American St. Patrick's Day celebration is a stereotype, than what isn't?

If they don't like that way the day is being depicted, that's fine, but that doesn't mean people are being stereotyped, John and the rest of the cops weren't acting drunk. Only Roxie was as far as I could see, so it was pretty much the same as every day for her. Was the way she dressed really an Irish stereotype? I think not and have no idea how what she was wearing has anything to do with displaying the notion that all Irish are heavy drinkers. I doubt one person in the whole of Ireland dresses anything like that or ever has in the entire history of the country. Call me crazy, but I think most people are smart enough to know that and to separate someone who is wearing a silly costume from an actual Irish person.

I can see someone passing on OLTL because those scenes looked cheesy, but I think one would have to be looking for offense in order to be offended by it. They have the right to be offended, but I have the right not to take them seriously and I don't. OLTL cannot kowtow to every ridiculous complaint that a few people have.

• Members

Don't forget about the Labines in 1997 with that awful Lord Armitage stuff and Patrick's dead sister (who we later found out looked just like Marty!), and bringing Malachy McCourt back for endless scenes, and the Patrick wig, and the wedding day bloodbath. Awful.

This reminds me of when Eastenders went to Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EastEnders_episodes_in_Ireland#Reception

• Members

Your ethnicity does not have to always prevail in stereotyping, eg New Yorkers are rude and always in a rush, it is just a general idea given to a group of people. Yes people drinking because it is St. Patricks Day is a stereotype, yes the actual day itself was written in stereotypical format, yes the button that Roxy wore, the hat with the glass of beer all stereotypical notions of Irish people. Stereotypes have little to do with the actual person and more to do with how they are preceived by others in this case the notion that Irish people are heavy drinkers and the celebration is widely known for a day to get drunk are stereotypes.

The day Snoop performed every black character was in attendence except Layla who was ill, stereotype that all black people listen to rap music, yet I enjoy the scenes thinking it was a nice and fun day. Stereotypes is such a huge presence in our lives that at times we may not even know that we are stereotyping.

I don't think the show was looking to be offensive just joining in on the fun of the celebration, nor was I offended but that still doesn't mean that the show wasn't using stereotypes.

Archived