OLTL: Discussion for the week November 30

• Members

Now that would have been brilliant! (It also would have brought attention to an even lesser publicized issue - violence against lesbian/bisexual women in particular, who are already vulnerable to gender violence to begin with, which is also more prevalent than a lot of people realize.) That said, people who commit hate crimes are cowards and target people they perceive as vulnerable, and a newly elected mayor of a city big enough to have two newspapers is a much more difficult target than some unknown gay guy in a dark parking lot. Nick was a more realistic choice in that regard (OK I know that doesn't mean a lot on this show sometimes, but...)

I do wish Nick were more established, and he has not been fleshed out at all so far, but soaps doing social issue stories with less than well-rooted new characters has happened historically, and sometimes they end up striking a cord nonetheless (I've seen quite a few clips of Marty pre-rape on YouTube, and I actually think Nick is a more sympathetic character than she was at that time). The actor has impressive credentials, and can hopefully handle something more than playing a guy who we just know really, really wants to get married. And none of the gay characters are legacy characters by any means, and although Kyle and Fish seem to have more staying power right now, if they're going to do a real triangle then the soapy thing would be for the character whom Kyle isn't with right now to be the one in crisis. So that could be a good story development in the long run. We'll see.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish Nick and Kyle had been a couple for a long time before Fish came along to break them up. I want a good triangle here. I'm already on Nick's side. He won me over the other day when he was talking to Kyle and Kyle was blabbering on about Fish. I wanted to be in that scene so that I could grab Nick by the arm and tell him that he doesn't have to listen to how great Kyle and Fish are doing and hell NO, you cannot be friends with an ex you still love. Kick him to the curb. I was hoping he would get to have a friend to talk things out with and it looks like that might be Amelia, but I almost wish he and the gold digger that's going after Clint, would end up being friends or cousins or something. I know some people hate her, but I actually see her as very loyal, but misguided. Nick needs someone like that as a sounding board. And maybe a sidekick if he's going to be a schemer trying to get Kyle back.

I just realized Nick might be dead. I hope the show isn't going to take it that far, it would definitely piss me off.

• Members

I totally agree with you about wishing Nick were more of an established character, but I think this helps provide a window to establish Nick as a character and provides logical reasons to delve deeper into his character, should the show choose to, which I hope they do. Also it provides an angle for discussion at school seeing how he is a teacher at Llanview High.

• Members

I'm hoping this will be more of an angle for him as a longer-running character, and not just a message story and a spoiler for Kish. I would say fan reaction might make a difference, but the show tapes so far in advance, it may not. I'm not sure, because some of the short-term characters I think had potential end up dying or disappearing, like Wes, or Janet/Lee. It seems like only people like Moe and Noelle stick around. Perhaps Nick can find a place.

• Members

I hope so too. I like Nick and Amelia both and I'd like to see them stick around. Kish is going to get boring eventually if Nick isn't around (or at least some other third party) to shake things up now and then. My concern is network interference. Is a show going to be allowed to have 4 long term gay characters? I think they are going to have to make one or more of them related to a major family if they do.

• Members

I too wish Nick and Kyle were taken more seriously as a couple. I, personally, would like to see an old-fashioned/classic triangle between the three of them. This story would be so much better if Kyle actually grew to care about Nick but dumped him for Fish because he never got over him.

• Members

That's my main thing with this part of the story, that it's only being done as a spoiler for Kyle and Oliver. I have faith in RC and FV to make it more than that, but a part of me still fears that we'll be getting a jealous, bitchy Oliver wanting Kyle to leave broken and bruised Nick alone. It would, in no way at all, make Ol look good.

Archived