Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To clarify, my issue wasn't with Bomer's age, but rather the orbit of characters he was interacting with. Bill and Michelle represented a generation above Marah even though I don't think they were that far apart in real life. Due to aging, Michelle and Bill were played as older and, as such, it felt like Ben was younger even though Bill and Michelle were simply older. I don't remember a lot of Nancy St. Alban/Matt Bomer scenes prior to Cosgrove's arrival, but I wasn't watching with a lot of fidelity after the initial college story started. At one point, SoapNet aired "Ryan's Hope" in the 3pm timeslot and I was recording that over GL when I wasn't home because of track practice.

• Members

kalbir--thanks for the clairification. I checked---that's when HB and Reva came back married and Josh had his accident. 

Contessa---well, according to wiki--that year (1981) the eligibility ran from March 1980 to March 1981. The award was given out in May. Jane started GL in March 1981. While I'm not acquainted with what Jane won for (I'd guess witholding her father's meds) or exactly when she left GH, I'm not sure any ABC executive would care to publicize a time slot competitor's actress.

WAIT---someone hired Ryan Brown AFTER GL? LAWD.

• Members

Yes, she won for watching Edward having a heart attack & not picking up the pills, that were right there. I remember March to March. I was so glad they switched to calendar year. And I'm sure you're right because of time proximity that may have been Monty's rationale. 

• Members

LOL about a year later Y&R scooped him up as a recast for David Tom as Billy on Y&R. Now rumor has it the Ryan Brown/Kelly Kruger mis-pairing was the catalyst for the ridiculous Katherine is Jill’s mother retcon twist but I’ll save that for the Y&R threads. Brown lasted about a year on Y&R before show blew up Billy & Mac for shock value. 

Maybe GL took a page out of the the cousin thing?

Gotcha understood, it’s funny you mentioning that as I was a young History teacher at the time I helped out my colleague often who was the track and field coach and I still remember both my 2004 and 2005 graduating students fondly

Please register in order to view this content

I wasn’t fortunate to get SoapNet til 2003 

• Members

You're welcome.

From the 1990s ratings thread, weeks where GL won the time slot over General Hospital

July 29-August 2, 1991

August 19-23, 1991

September 2-6, 9-13, 16-20, 23-27, 30-October 4, 7-11, 1991

November 18-22, 25-29, 1991

April 13-17, 20-24, 27-May 1, 4-8, 1992

May 18-22, 1992

June 1-5, 8-12, 1992

June 22-26, 29-July 3, 1992

August 3-7, 10-14, 17-21, 24-28, 31-September 4, 1992

September 14-18, 21-25, 28-October 2, 1992

October 19-23, 1992

• Members

The technical term is rape by deception. Because Jon purposely deceived Tammy regarding his true identity and this information could change whether she consented or not, it can be considered as rape. 

To be fair to Hurst, she was never the sole headwriter of the show and wrote as a team with Gold, Dunn, and Kreizman. In fact, I'm inclined to credit her with the rare flashes of good material in the show's final year to her as compared to the material for the rest of those hacks. 

• Members

Even if it wasn't rape, the entire point of them having sex in Ocober, 2004, was to hurt Reva because of the closeness between Tammy and Reva. Jonathan seducing his own cousin was suppose to incite anger and rage in Reva. It wasn't like he just happened to fall for her and chose not to reveal who he was. He targeted her. To be fair, Tammy's motivation to bed Jonathan was also complicated. After Jonathan (as JB), provided Lizzie with the substance to drug Joey Lupo hoping to sleep with him, Tammy decided she needed to even the score by sleeping with someone else. Initially, Tammy propositioned Tony Santos, but he turned her down because he was pining over Michelle. Jonathan was just an easy choice. 

Furthermore, Tammy's reaction to the revelation involved a suicide attempt where she jumped into the river and had Sandy Foster pull her out claiming she just wanted to be clean. Tammy was definitely traumatized by the experience, and, in a modern world, Tammy's interest in Jonathan would more than likely be described as trauma replay than love. 

If the show had put any real effort into repairing the damage that Jonathan had done to Tammy, I might have been willing to go along with the pairing, but that was never even attempted. The only thing I think they did was have Jonathan save Tammy from a fire in her hotel room at the Beacon in July, 2005, or thereabouts. 

They briefly tested Jonathan/Marina in October, 2004, and I thought that might have worked better than Jonathan / Tammy and Marina / Danny, but that's just me. Also, I wanted Danny / Blake so there's that. 

• Members

The award for worst writer in TGL's history has A LOT of nominees, LOL! I'd put Jeff Ryder, Megan McTavish and (particularly) Ellen Weston--among several other names--in the ring.

Going back into the show's glory days, James Lipton's work was always mediocre on every soap he wrote, but he thankfully did not last long on this one.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thank you for replying. As far as Tammy goes, he had no intent to deceive. It was only Reva that caused him to initially conceal his true identity. And if things had gone another way he would've continued in the alias.

She was a product of P&G's liking to promote from within. It was either MADD or JFP who plucked her out of reception & started her on the path of becoming a writer. She credits both of them with her success. She has made one quote I really like. "Script writing is the secret weapon of daytime. They paint the picture. A good script writer is everything." - Jill Lorie Hurst, 3-15-23, Locher Room chat room. She speaks highly of her co-HWs & also of Nancy Williams Watt. She has spoken of possibly writing a book about her time writing for GL.

I totally agree here about both Ellen Weston & also James Lipton. Lipton was never successful writing anything. At GL, Weston's only HW experience, everything she wrote was a disaster. Someone who interviewed her said she had no clue how to talk about writing.

Edited by Contessa Donatella
no source

• Members
Posted (edited)

ITA. If a man hides/lies about essential facts which are likely to affect a woman's decision to sleep with him (like his having AIDS, his being a close biological relative, etc.) that is abusive. It strips the unsuspecting partner of informed consent, full body autonomy, and is repugnant.

Good point.

Well said. The entire genesis and handling of the Jammy ((ahem)) "romance" was skewered and immoral. It reminded me of the violent and ugly start of the Luke and Laura craze on GH: a degenerate raped a married teenager who clearly fought against him and was left severely traumatized by the attack. Then the TPTB suddenly decided to sanitize the entire abhorrent situation and claim the violation was "a seduction" because the show became enamored with a scene-chewing actor. No wonder Leslie Charleson openly admitted on the Donahue show how irresponsible the treatment of the story was. And no wonder Genie Francis acknowledged that her "blood ran cold" at GH's romanticizing the rape.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Oh I’m well aware that crazy always crying Wheeler had about 4 headwriters, including Hurst. Hurst wanted to take credit for the terrible dumb Otalia pairing. GL was cancelled with cry baby Wheeler and Hurst at the helm. They never worked in daytime again, thank GOD! I never watched it, but Chappell hired Hurst for that internet series that no one watched.