B&B: Becky

• Members

I was just going through an old soap magazine and saw some of the old synopses for B&B. One was about the Becky cancer story.

I really liked Becky, I thought she was the closest B&B had come since Caroline and Macy to a genuinely sympathetic ingenue. They tried with Jessica, and with (gag) Kimberly, but I never believed it. With Becky, she had this charisma, especially as she was made over and she fell in love with CJ and learned Amber had taken her baby.

I never understood why they had to kill her off, especially since Deacon was on his way to town. I know they wanted to keep Amber with the baby, and wanted to redeem Amber (even though doing this by having her keep Becky's cancer from her was somewhat callous). I did enjoy Adrienne Frantz's performance, it was far better than her recent work, but I think Becky had so much to offer. That was also the last real story CJ had. Mick Cain was a great young actor and the show never bothered to give him any material afterward, he was just phased out after Deacon came along.

There wasn't any backstage issue which prompted her death story, was there?

I wonder what Marissa Tait is doing now.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This should come very close to the truth...

Becky was brought as somewhat unlikeable, then they started to invest in the character and with Marissa Tait (and the pairing of Becky and CJ) the role got increasingly popular so Brad had to push her aisde to fruther concentrate on Amber was the corner stone in every single story 1998 to 2002...

• Members

You're both right, it just never made sense to me. I thought she had a great deal to offer the show. And that was one of the last good stories Amber had. After the initial attraction to Deacon, didn't her stories get terrible? The twin, and home shopping, and all the rest?

Now Amber isn't even on B&B, and their young female heroines have been great fan favorites like Caitlin, Phoebe, Steffi...

• Members

Becky was a very sympathetic character and MT had chemistry with not only Mick Cain but also Justin Torkildsen. She could have generated a lot of story going forward, especially with Deacon showing up. However, as sheilaforever mentionned, Adrienne Frantz was Bradley's pet at the time and he was determined to give her a SL to big Amber up. What better way than to kill off the character who was eating into Amber's popularity? Also, Becky was a constant reminder of Amber and Tawny's baby switch (somewhat similar to what AMC's Babe and Krustal did to pass off "Bess" as a Chandler).

• Members

I wonder what Bradley thinks of Amber and Adrienne Frantz after her interview with Nelson when she was all "I LOVE being on Y&R! I pray I never go back to B&B again!" (OK, I'm paraphrasing here. Well, not so much paraphrasing as reinterpreting her vaguely-phrased comments).

Oh, to be a fly in the fruit-bowl at Lee Philip Bell's dinner table.

• Members

Maria would be like: "Thanks for doing all the leg-work in coming up with a character and giving her all this backstory and history so I don't have to, Brad."

Brad: HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

• Members

Brad: Whatever you do, just please PLEASE don't butcher the character of Deacon.

Maria: I swear.

LATER

Brad: You totally butchered the character of Deacon!

Maria: I had my fingers crossed behind my back.

Archived