Y&R: Major character recast in the works?

• Members

Viewers have noticed and complained that Victoria Newman, once a central star on the show, has now been reduced to a mere day player. Well now, according to the always controversial Nelson Branco, the role Gina Tognoni is wanted for is Victoria Newman. That tells me they see the problem with the actress and probably do want to write for the character. But what happens if she doesn't join the show? Will they continue to search for a suitable recast or just let things be?

Here is his exact quote and a link: http://goldderbyforums.latimes.com/eve/for...m/602105492/p/2

Also sad to read about Heather Tom and Victoria Rowell. Of course it was expected after their messy exits, but both are two of my favorites to ever hit Y&R. I don't think Gina Tognoni or anyone else will ever come close to being as good as Tom in the role. A big factor in that is because they'll never have writing as good.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Waiting for Heather Tom shouldn't be stupid since she was willing to return when she left OLTL and they turned her down. By that point, Heinle wasn't making any waves so the character being wasted all these years is for nothing. I don't care about the petty office politics, it's her role and she should be playing it. The amount the show would benefit from her returning has to be more important than whatever else is going on behind the scenes. Ditto to Victoria Rowell.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 18 2009, 06:22 AM)
Waiting for Heather Tom shouldn't be stupid since she was willing to return when she left OLTL and they turned her down. By that point, Heinle wasn't making any waves so the character being wasted all these years is for nothing. I don't care about the petty office politics, it's her role and she should be playing it. The amount the show would benefit from her returning has to be more important than whatever else is going on behind the scenes. Ditto to Victoria Rowell.

I would give anything to have Heather Tom and Victoria Rowell back. That would be something that would send shockwaves through daytime, but it obviously won't happen.

I didn't know they rejected HT once she left OLTL. How sad. And stupid.

• Members

This is a better fit for Gina than an OLTL return, but I'm not sure the current writers know how to handle a Victoria. Phyllis and Sharon already occupy the weepy/unbalanced territory in that age range. A tough Victoria may also not go with their current vision of the Newman kids as being inferior to Victor.

Hopefully if they get her, then they will make Victoria into a strong woman again.

• Members

I don't think anyone at Y&R hates Heather Tom, at least not the cast. They gave her a pre-nom the year she left, and you know those greedy people at Y&R don't give out pre-noms easily. She has a lot of support there, but maybe not with management at the show.

I love Heather, but who knows if she really wants to return. When she left OLTL, Latham was still at Y&R and Amelia was still obviously under contract. Did anyone expect Latham to hire Heather Tom and fire Amelia? Then Heather got a contract at B&B soon afterwards and she's been there ever since. IMO, her acting has suffered majorly on B&B, they give her crap yes, but she's been phoning stuff in for at least a year there.

If Gina joins as Victoria and the writing is there, this could be a great thing. A recast is definitely needed, but they have to actually write for the character and write her IN character.

• Members

OMG, they rejected HT?? Seriously... whoever decided that is an idiot.

But I would totally accept Gina Tognoni! I LOVE her and I think she could make Vicky great again. AH is a good actress, but she's not Vicky. NOT AT ALL!

But if they get Gina, they HAVE to get Vicky away from JT. Vicky and JT suck as a couple.

That would be amazing. JT has no purpose on this show. He was the teen bad boy and should have departed the show when Brittany, Raul and Mac left.

• Members

I don't know where people are getting that from. When Heather left OLTL, she said in numerous interviews that Victoria is being played by Amelia right now and she didn't have any interest in tackling the role in the immediate furute.

Latham was still at Y&R, and I doubt she knew anything about Heather's glory days as Victoria.

Amelia did say when Heather was free that she would understand if TPTB wanted to re-hire Heather Tom though...

• Members

Amelia is miscast and she's lazy like hell, but they need to write for Victoria and consider her a main character again. They hardly even write for the character anymore and when they do, they give her this crappy art storyline to support.

Gina Tognoni is fierce actress and if the writing was on her side, she could make this character viable and come alive again...

• Members

I wouldn't mind Heather coming back (have wanted this since she left OLTL) or if they somehow got Gina. The role needs a strong actress and like many have said strong writing as well. AH is just dang I can't even figure out a word right now but she's never done anything for me in this role and I always wonder how she got this job.

• Members

TL and GT would make a pretty couple and there are no many available single men in that age range on Y&R. They should keep him around, then again if it is true that Sean Kanan is going Y&R, he and GT would be physically beautiful together. He brings the sexy.

Archived