OLTL: Kyle & Fish spoiler

• Members

"One Life to Live" adds a gay love story starring an out actor

Boy, the tidal wave of gay that has been sweeping through daytime isn't showing any signs of ebbing, as now One Life to Live has announced that it will be outing two existing male characters, one of whom is played by a gay actor who has caught our attention before.

According to soaps journo Nelson Branco, OLTL will soon reveal that Officer Fish (Scott Evans) and Kyle Lewis (Brett Claywell) had a sexual encounter in college, and will have them rekindle their intimate relationship, which will then be challenged when another gay character, Griffin, arrives. (The role of Griffin is casting now.)

But that's just half of it: The real news for some may be that Scott Evans is, indeed, the openly gay brother of hotstuff movie actor Chris Evans, whom we've mentioned before in our Celebrity Gay Brothers features.

Following the immense success of As the World Turns' gay couple and the new gay goings-on on The Young & the Restless, this great news is another sign that the status quo is indeed shifting. Thanks to our soapsmeister Anthony Langford for the tip, and be sure to keep up-to-date on all three storylines with his weekly Gays of Our Lives column!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled.

First of all, I don't like Kyle or Fish, and have no desire to see them rack up more airtime.

Second of all, this all sounds like OLTL following what is becoming a daytime trend. The Billy Douglas arch from 1992 was a respectable s/l. This will 9 times out of 10 be pure commercial fluff.

Third of all, the thought of an influx of disingenious "Kish" fans (as if "Sole" fans aren't annoying enough) storming OLTL threads/forums, who watch the show for no other reason than to get behind these 2, is harrowing.

• Members

Chris Evans is so hot. I like him a lot. The brother looks like him a bit, but isn't near as hot.

This is not good. To peripheral characters on the soaps getting airtime to have a romance is annoying to the audience whether they are straight or gay. No doubt that Fish and Kyle will have an instant rabid fan base that is going to make the situation worse.

ACEM, we had the same thought about the "Kish" fans. This will get ugly.

• Members

Yep. If Nuke and Otalia are any indication of what's to come, I hope TPTB at OLTL are ready to bow down and kiss ass.

I like Fish, and I've liked him since his first episode last year, but I don't know anything about Kyle, nor do I really care. All I know is that he was the one who couldn't decide whether or not David was Asa's son or Bo's son or Matthew's son or Jack Manning's son or Spike Lavery's son or Barnabas Collins's son or whatever. One of the things that OLTL tends to do right lately, in my opinion at least, is couples, so I'm holding out hope that this story isn't done as some kind of quick fix (coughNUKEcough) to get publicity.

• Members

Well, I called that, haha.

I think I'll be glad as long as they are developed as a couple and their past is not just used as some burden or mistake to give either character more depth and strife.

I like both characters, so I'm personally excited. As for viewership, I have some rabid gay guy fangirls for friends that I'll try to get hooked on that storyline...and hopefully the rest. ;)

• Members

An allegedly/rumored gay HW and gay EP writing a gay storyline. I think it could work.

I don't even care if they are liked, become major characters, whatever.

I view this a lot like the late 1960s and 1970s...when many/most soaps began to incorporate persons of color. They did not always do it well (to this day, they don't always do it well), but simply expanding the colors of the canvas is a laudable goal at this time in history.

If you step back, it is quite amazing.

Four soaps have current gay stories/characters (ATWT, GL, Y&R, OLTL)

One has a recent gay storyline/character (AMC).

Two have historically had some gay presence (DOOL in the 1970s...that doesn't totally count; GH with Lucas and also the teacher)

Only B&B remains totally gay-free (not counting JM J Bullock's one-day appearance as Sergei).

So, when you put it all together, GLBT has now almost fully infiltrated one of the most fully conservative, anachronistic aspects of television--the daytime soap.

This speaks powerfully, I think, to the progress of social change. Not every gay character needs to be a long-lasting, likeable core family member. The day player cop can be gay...it can be incidental...and that's fine. Not a big deal.

• Members

So in other words, OLTL is playing "follow the leader." Doing what other soaps are. How incredibly lame. Especially at a time when soaps are so in trouble that they NEED to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack. And just a few months ago, didn't Fish sleep with Stacy and try his damndest to be the swirl in Layla's chocolate? Whatever. Here's hoping that this s/l doesn't hijack the entire show.

• Members

But who's gonna know (or care) that a day player is gay? I mean, you're gonna have to either follow this day player to his or her home or hear this day player have a conversation with his or her lover on the phone or whatever. Those are things that you don't do with day players simply because they are day players and we're not supposed to pay close attention to them.

• Members

Thank you! I think it's great that gay viewers are finally getting a story they've been "clamoring" for. But if they wanted to make a strong statement have have real impact, they should have explored Todd and John. That would be must see.

Archived