Interview with David Lago & Emily O'Brien

• Members

I've recently chatted with Emily O'Brien and David Lago (Jana & Raul, YR). I did not learn outbreaking things but I wanted to share with you. My interviews are not dead :P

Emily O’Brien (Jana)

I had never seen the show before being hired in 2006 so I had to familiarize myself with the pace and characters of the show once I booked the role of Jana. I love her because she is definitely a colorful character. She has everything and shown a glimpse of so many different personalities in such a short amount of time. You never know what she will say or do next. She is unpredictable but yet sincere and careful. If I had to play another character, I would have loved to play Phyllis because she has such an interesting background and character flaws and charms. Today, I would love to see a bit of a shake-up. Just to see how these characters [Kevin and Jana] react in times of change. Plus as an actor, anything new is wonderful to play...When I joined, it was somewhat intimidating to play alongside legends (Jeanne Cooper, Eric Braeden,...) but they have all been very kind to me. There is an understanding that all of us share as cast members working together on the show. I have been told many different things about what might happen for the soaps (since GL is getting cancelled) but for now I am going to enjoy my time here and worry about it if ever that time comes...

David Lago (Raul)

I recently received a call from Y&R casting asking me if I would be interested in reprising the role [i had left five years ago] because they were thinking of bringing back Raul. I humbly accepted. There are new Billy and Mac and I enjoy working with Billy Miller and Clementine Ford very much. They are both friendly, talented people. During my first run on the show, my favorite storyline was the Diabetes Storyline. We were able to save lives by educating and entertaining at the same time. I was able to travel around and meet some of them and hear their stories. For the moment, I’m not sure what I’d like to see happen with Raul. I didn’t expect this storyline, so we’ll just see where it goes. Meanwhile, I have some Independent films that I’m hoping do well in the film festival circuit and get distribution. You can know more on my website (www.davidlago.com) that I keep updated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For sure. Since the canvas is over-stuffed, I'm kind of eager for her brain cancer to come back, and to see she and Rikaart play Love Story. I'd miss her, but I think it would be worth it.

• Members

So true...BTW, it was not a complete interview with Lago and O'Brien, only a casual chat. For real long interviews, Michael Laibson seems to be okay but it will probably get some time. I'll also try Michael Malone this summer, early July after my exams.

• Members

The rat who ate the chesse..or what the heck was his insane speech?? I personally found Raul just ok nothing great about him or Lago. He is a mediocre actor at best. His return to Y&R now is a WTF moment for me. He really isn't needed. O'Brien..ugh...wish she would go back to Aussie Land.

• Members

Raul, right now, was a plot point. It provoked extreme behavior in Billy, which provoked extreme behavior in Chloe, because Raul was identified as Mac's lover. Any man -- any man -- would have fit in that story.

It is just a little more interesting that that man is Raul...because we got to see the backstory that led to the romance in Darfur. AND, the Raul we knew would plausibly have gone to Darfur.

Beats were missed. Most importantly, Raul and JT should have connected. Raul and Billy's friendship should have been better remembered.

But I think the show mostly brought him back to see how he sparked with the cast, how the audience reacted, and to keep the character alive. It paves the way for a possible return if they need a young man soon.

I suspect it was also done as a favor to Jeanne Cooper (who was also behind the return of "Clint Radisson") and maybe even to Judith Chapman/Christian Leblanc (who put Lago in a play earlier this year). For all we know, it was even just a number of appearances needed to retain Lago's union status and health insurance.

The bottom line is that Raul would fit nicely on the canvas if they wanted, but he is not essential. Marland used to have old characters/actors drop by all the time...and it was nice. It created the feeling of an extended family. So, I hope we see more of this kind of Danny/Traci/Nina/Raul drop in.

• Members

Raul was ALWAYS a plot point, God love him. He went from Billy's good friend who dated Mac so Mac and Billy could feel guilty to their good friend with that bad case of the special episode diabetes to Brittany's poor omgLatino boyfriend to her angry and betrayed and whatareyouawhore boyfriend when she started stripping and flirting with Bobby Marsino.

I liked him most of the time, he had a habit of dropping into that soap opera good guy rage of righteous indignation though.

• Members

EOB would be ideal as Jackie's daughter/niece on B&B. An ideal love interest for the younger Forrester boys (Rick and Thomas) and along with LAD could provide the show with a "Sally/Macy" dynamic.

I think that Jana will eventually get very sick, Kevin will need money for the doctors and get involved in illegal dealings. Didn't a young Mike Horton do this for his bride Margo in the early eighties?

And BTW, what is the deal with DL's speech? What did he say?

Archived