Another World

• Members
Posted (edited)

I copied and pasted directly from the Kindle edition, so all I know is I didn't introduce the error. Looks like the book has it spelled correctly in 36 places and incorrectly as Proctor in only 4 places. Whether that was Lemay's error or some later proofreader I cannot say.

Edited by Xanthe
Sigh.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Fascinating! With that ratio of correct to incorrect, I'm gonna guess proofreader error.

Teach me. How do you copy/paste from your kindle? 

Tom Lisanti's next book is going to be "An Oral History of Texas Starring Beverlee McKinsey." He says that there are many Another World stories and a few Ryan's Hope, Guiding Light, and For Richer, For Poorer stories included.

• Members

Cool. Any idea when it might be released?

Re Kindle, when I select text as if to highlight in the Android app, it displays an option to copy the text.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

This is very interesting, Contessa.  I hadn't heard that anecdote before, although I was aware Lemay liked Jill very much and admired her as an EP.  Do you know who was the head-writer at that time?   I'm assuming the writer must have also been in the meeting, since they even invited Lemay (the writing consultant).

I do not dislike Jill as much as most soap fans do.  

• Members

Well, once again, YouTube has closed my account. Their reason, as stated by them, is that I have violated their standards in regard to spam, scams & deceptive practices. All of my uploads are either parts of soap episodes, or full episodes, or interviews & award show clips concerning soaps. There is no possibility even of anything being spam, or scams or in any way deceptive. I appealed, of course, Denied. So I have begun moving files to Rumble, where I am told none of this ridiculous business goes on. We shall see. 

To begin there, I have uploaded consecutive days of 1989 AW. These are disks I had long had & done nothing with & now have dealt with them so they can be shared. As such: 

https://rumble.com/v51xanr-another-world-8-24-89.html
This completes consecutive days of this soap from 7-28-89 to 8-24-89.
Another World.

• Members

What I don't recall though is Lemay being listed as headwriter in early 1988 before the writers strike.  I only see the credits from episodes and the stats from Sept till Oct or Nov with him being headwaiter,  unless he is messing up the timeline.  The Jan 88 episodes though sound like Lemay's writing especially with reference to the family history but I think Margaret DePriest was writing then. 

Who's arguing? Just writing what I thought I recall reading in other discussions about his leaving in 1988.

• Members

Lemay's hiring was announced by the soap press just before the strike began.  So AW was still airing scripts that had been written by the head writer that Lemay was to replace when the strike began.  Of course Lemay refused to submit any scripts during the strike, although he may have already submitted his storyline projections. That is unknown, because nothing written by the scabs during the strike seemed particularly Lemay-ish.  When the strike ended, Lemay began to submit his scripts and AW began to produce episodes written by Lemay and his team.  But according to Lemay, before any of his scripts were aired, he was informed that he was fired.  Nobody really knows exactly why TPTB hired Swajeski.  Perhaps they liked her writing style better than Lemay's; or perhaps they had never really wanted to hire Lemay in the first place (a la Jacquie Courtney in 1985); or maybe they wanted to punish Lemay for not crossing the picket line during the strike; or maybe they hired her because she had been an NBC employee; or it could have been something else altogether.   

I didn't mean to imply that you were arguing.  I just meant that I did not want to engage in an argument about it, with both parties repeating, back and forth, what we believe to  be the truth.  I prefer to say what I believe and leave it at that (if possible), without either person needing to repeat his/her story, just to get the upper-hand.  And I'm not implying you were doing that either.  I just do not want to do it.  When I say I don't intend to argue, I'm referencing myself.  Not anyone else.

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

Sheri Anderson was the head writer before the writer’s strike in 1988.  Right before the strike, John Whitesell was replaced as executive producer by Michael Laibson.  Shortly after Laibson arrived, Lemay’s return was announced.  The strike lasted from the Spring until September.  Lemay’s scripts aired until November.

• Members

I was pondering a few items over dinner.

From the time Iris left Houston, until she returned to Bay City, did she, or Dennis, own a part of Alex Wheeler's oil company? (I forget which one was World Oil).

And, while I'm well aware that it was a retcon, what do we estimate was the timing of her affair with Michael?  Was it before he met the twins, or after he left for Hawaii?

Finally, what became of Michael's business, Hudson Enterprises.  Weren't they a tech firm?  According to AWHP it ceased to exist, but did he sell it or did it go under?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Yes- the return of Sharlene and Josie was probably Lemay’s idea, as well as the Bennett Publishing takeover of Cory Publishing that started when Drew Marsden arrived in Spring, 1988, setting up the return of Iris as “The Chief.”  The minute that Vivien showed up on the Cory’s doorstep in September, you knew Iris was not far behind.  I suspect the arrival of Evan Bates (Janice Frame’s son) in  August was Lemay’s idea as well.

The ghost that looked like Kathleen that appeared to Cass and the teen phone line with Matthew and Josie in the Summer of 88 were probably Swajeski’s ideas.