Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Did Amanda have two? In 1989 Dustin Trent (played by James Kiberd) tried to force her to impersonate his dead wife in order to obtain some kind of inheritance. Then in 1999 the reason Jordan Stark was obsessed with her was because somehow she was also his beloved Amelie (and they had to break her strong, strong love for Cameron Sinclair so that Jordan and Amelie could be together).

Don't forget that Alexander Nikos was a dead ringer for Lucas, and Anne O'Donnell exactly like Frankie.

• Members

And don't forget Hadley Prescott (or do, it is for the best if we all try to forget that story

Please register in order to view this content

)

I mean she wasn't another personality, but as we discussed the other day, there was some dialogue when the boundaries were getting blurred

Edited by j swift

• Members

BTW - it is still one of my favorite soapy things when characters have lived through a trauma like their loved one being kidnapped and impersonated, and later they are shocked and amazed when it happens again.  I'm tickled when a change in writers means that a character has learned nothing from the past few years.

IRL if someone you knew returned to town in a bad wig, I hope you'd think, "oh, that's the same thing that happened to my Uncle Shlomo's wife two years ago..."

Edited by j swift

• Members

Along with romantic viability, I think another interesting correlate with female characters of a certain age is what I like to call the Lichtenstein Dilemma, based on his famous print

This occurs when certain character are serial romantics, but never procreate. For example, Felicia, whom in order to stay relevant in a multigenerational story, gets surrogate kids and long-lost daughters.  There are male versions as well (e.g. Carl). But soap writers have to jump through hoops to tell how a woman could have never spoken about having kids, and how those kids happened to move to the same town later in life.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think fully half of  the time online I find something when I am looking for something else. Many of those times are rabbit holes. So this morning I was looking for one thing & I found another, an interesting picture of Jacquie Courtney that I know I've never seen before. 

AW had Cass & Jake. GH had, I think, Jon Lindstrom & John J. York. I feel like I've seen John Callahan in drag. I know there are more. It was really a popular device. I'm not sure how serious most people took it. Stephen Schnetzer took it as part of his acting homework. He met with Dustin Hoffman's dresser for TOOTSIE & said that man taught him a bunch of tricks, like how to walk, to "caress the thighs", and SS then jumps up & illustrates the walk. It looks amazing with him in street clothes! If you can catch it, it's an entertaining part of an interview. He's talked about it several times.