Another World

• Members

I just went back to our research on this & part of what we said when we discovered this is as follows: 

"Daytime TV" magazine©1977 dedicated entirely to "Search for Tomorrow". On page 59 is the following paragraph.

Without realizing it Scott and Kathy began to fall in love. Scott and Laurie separated and eventually divorced. But Kathy was liberated and didn't want children. Scott felt she would change her mind. On the day he proposed, Kathy told Scott she had an abortion the day before.

Search For Tomorrow. (1977). Daytime TV Library Series No. 7.

I typed up that page of storyline synopsis & asked a discussion thread devoted to "Search For Tomorrow" if they could date the events & someone immediately affirmed 1970-71.

Now, we had no inkling that Erica's abortion was not a RoeV date! Seeing this here is the first I've heard of it not being a 1973+ date. 

I wonder if there is any way to sort this to see if SFT Kathy or AMC Erica was the first legal abortion. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was just at Kim Well's Another World group on Facebook & they just passed over 2000 members & congratulated them, etc. Kim posed the question "If you could only watch one year of AW for the rest of your life what year would you choose?" 

I would pick 1990. Connie Ford is there all year. Anne Heche is there all year. Donna Swajeski is HW. It's the 'Who Shot Jake' year. There is quite a bit of Jake & Paulina and Jake & Marley, Jake's fling with Donna, ... 

• Members

I've been reading about the new Ryan's Hope, and it reminded me how annoyed I was when they fired Cali Timmins and hired Judi Evans on AW. It's not that I don't like Judi Evans, but she didn't fit the part. Paulina was a completely different character after Evans took over. I much preferred Timmins's portrayal. 

• Members

From the new book Ryan's Hope: An Oral History of Daytime's Groundbreaking Soap 

Cali Timmins received an offer she couldn't refuse from Another World. She thought the character Paulina was going to be different from Maggie but in some ways she felt she was playing the same character--- only with less guts. Although there were great people like Victoria Wyndham ---there was a lot of backstabbing and competiveness. She did not enjoy playing the role.

• Members

Tom Lisanti, the author posts on my forum. I'm so pleased that so many people are so tickled with his book. He first posted about it a year ago & it's been interesting & it's kind of a Hooray for him & FINALLY, also, moment. Marlena delaCroix reviewed it & said that it's scholarship was equal to that of the Christopher Schmering SOAP ENCYCLOPEDIA 1985 & there is no greater compliment that could be paid!! 

• Members

Thank you for this. This makes me wonder if she quit or the execs replaced her because she was unhappy. Either way, I think she was perfect in the role, and I wish we had more time with her. Her experience echoes what Sharon Gabet has said about working on AW.

• Members

I thought Sharon was unhappy because she was pregnant & the long hours were getting to her & she felt physically menaced. Am I misremembering?

As far as Calli goes, I thought they wanted Judi in the first place but she wasn't free. IOW, she got a raw deal although she did have a paying gig for a time. 

• Members

Sorry, it was not her first paragraph.  It was the third and fifth paragraph:

Ryan's Hope "was the first soap to be set in a real place (New York City instead of a made-up vaguely suburban hamlet."    INCORRECT.

Ryan's Hope was the first soap "to dramatize the lives, loves, and trials of a recognizable ethnic culture."     

INCORRECT.

Mary Ryan "was daytime’s first female journalist."

INCORRECT.

Jeeze Louise!!  I just hope Marlena did not get this information from Tom's book.  Marlena should have known those statements were untrue.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Cali's Paulina as I remember her held more back and could therefore be sly and sneaky. She was more about self-preservation and I liked the way she made her own conditions when Jake blackmailed her into marrying him. She knew how to take advantage even when she seemed to  be over a barrel. Maybe this is unfair but I feel like Judi's Paulina wouldn't be very cunning about it. She might push back but her heart would be on her sleeve. 

Did Paulina as Cali start to fall in love with Jake or was she more emotionally tied to Dack's Grant until after Judi took over?

I don't know anything about Maggie on Ryan's Hope so I don't know how similar the character might have been to Paulina. I would not really have said that Paulina didn't have guts.

Not sure who I envision being in competition with Paulina for storyline, but maybe that's not what Cali means by backstabbing.

• Members

IIRC SOD reported that Judi Evans was being courted by AW with the promise of a new character.  She had moved to the East Coast after leaving DAYS, and was a big draw for NBC, so AW actively sought her out.  However, once the deal was actually presented, she was told that she would be a re-cast for Paulina.  This may be why two such disparate types were cast in the same role.