Another World

• Members

I think it was around the time Felicia met Zane that Wallingford started to show signs of being interested in Felicia romantically but she was oblivious and as soon as he realized that she was interested in Zane he quietly backed off. I think he was also friendly with early bitter John Hudson. As long as Lemay had tried to write for him as a person first I don't see why Brent Collins couldn't have had a place in serious Bay City.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think his little-person status was ever discusses in any detail.  In fact, I'm not sure it was ever mentioned at all.  Perhaps it was referred to indirectly, but it seemed to me most of the writers wrote all that comedy and just ignored the fact he was a little-person.  I was not a regular viewer during that era, but did tune in occasionally.  

Also, was there ever any disclosure of Wallingford's past, family, or upbringing?  I don't remember the details of his life ever being mentioned. But as I said, I wasn't watching every day during that time.   

• Members

When Dee first arrived in early 1985 Wallingford talked about his parents wanting to protect him and telling him to stick to his own kind, but he didn't want to limit himself so he left home. (Not clear whether there were other little people in his family.) He also mentioned that people felt free to be rude and unkind to his face because he looked different. 

Edited by Xanthe
A missing space and a missing word.

• Members

With Wallingford's past pretty much a blank slate, Lemay would have had plenty of options.

I can see him coming from a wealthy family with snobby parents embarassed by him. A short arc story where they come to town for whatever reason and issues are thrashed out, where Wally asserts that Felicia and Cass are his chosen family.

Could be some  powerful drama,far preferable to 'zany hijinks'.

• Members

For some reason I thought he had a sister, but then I realized that was Zane. 

I thought there was a clip where he talked about his height but I can't remember anymore.

His memorial may be the best place to look. (the last moments with Stephen Schnetzer and Linda Dano speaking to viewers always break my heart):

• Members

I am biased pro-Zane and anti-Mitch so it is not surprising that my first reaction was to wish that it were Zane comforting Felicia here. I had forgotten since they never did much with it but when Zane brought Brittany to town they established that Wallingford already knew him because he had travelled around a lot before settling in Bay City.

I don't mind a little wacky hijink from time to time and always appreciate a normal amount of levity mixed with my drama. Wallingford was quite a nice talk-to for a variety of people over the years. Bridget's circle was more limited but Wally was positioned to have heartfelt conversations with more outsider types.

• Members

Yes, Lemay probably would have used Wallingford mostly as a talk to character, but I'm sure he would have also explored some melancholy with the character, as was Lemay's tendency.  I've enjoyed all the responses and speculation fellow posters have provided.  

Still, I can't help believing Lemay breathed a huge sigh of relief, when Wallingford (the character, not Brent Collins the actor) was killed-off by the previous writing team, whoever they were.  I feel Lemay probably viewed Wallingford as a gimmick, and was likely NOT excited about inheriting the character.  But it would have been interesting to see where Lemay might have taken Wally.  As I said in an earlier post, Lemay surprised me with his writing for Felicia (who he also probably viewed as a gimmick and a one-trick-pony). In my opinion, his writing for Felicia was probably the best writing she had up to that point.  

Just to be clear -- I in no way mean to imply that Harding Lemay would have been happy that Brent Collins died.  I simply mean that he was probably relieved he did not have to inherit a character that was so far from his vision of AW.  And of course, I could be incorrect about all this anyway.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Not to worry. You have not seemed weird. Honestly I can imagine that writing for the disabled, the different, and in the case of little people the very different could be challenging to writers. Pete liked to come up with his own challenges, thank you very much. He could be a mess if something was thrust upon him. I had a special time when I was in contact online with Patrick Mulcahey for awhile & he talked about Pete & he said that he could not understand how he kept himself from killing Paul Rauch. Literally. Dead. I treasure that line. An interesting tidbit is that he said they (TEXAS writing team) wrote for AW for a few months before they were ready for them for TEXAS & they are not credited with that writing anywhere. Fell through the cracks. I checked with Eddie & there's nothing to be done about it, of course. 

• Members

I read that he's concentrating on 1989-90. Vicky bought a house in 1989 & there's lots of times where she has conversations with Bridget, which are treasures! And, then, she & Ryan (PMV) were very much in the early stages of full out love. It's kind of a new space for Vicky to live & a new place for her persona to be & if I recall correctly it's a real good time!! 

From conversation last night, here's a picture of Felicia with

Please register in order to view this content

Zane. 

• Members

Here's the rub. It wasn't really Marley. It was Vicky impersonating Marley who was unavailable. And, Vicky had been told by Marley that Jake did NOT rape her. Cass knew the truth. So, Vicky, pretending to be Marley, found out as she was testifying. Right after that court session, Vicky who had been hiding her feelings, went into the women's restroom & physically destroyed the place in her anger. All those scenes are famous & on Anne Heche's emmy reel. The physical destruction in the restroom is amazing!