Y&R: The Victor/Jack feud

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, the roots, as I recall, were in the early 1980s (probably '84).

Dina Mergeron had come to Genoa City, and she owned Mergeron Industries (based in France).

For whatever reason, the newly married Victor decided he wanted to acquire the company. He teamed up with Nikki, and they embarked on a divide-and-conquer strategy.

Ashley was dating Dina's stepson Marc at the time (the hunk was also a heated rival for Mergeron Industries, since he felt his father's widow was not really entitled to the company--he and his sister were.

In a strange game, Nikki's job was to kind of "seduce" (not sexually, but as a friend) Marc, while Victor did the same with Ashley. I distinctly remember (this is out of context) that there was a dinner date, and when Victor was alone with Ashley he uttered the line "It is folly of the most irresponsible kind to let time tick away". I have no idea why I remember that...but of course this gambit eventually led to Victor and Ashley becoming "too close".

Anyway, Jack Abbott was trying to become the head of Mergeron. (It may be he was kicked out of Jabot at this time). When Victor ended up taking over the company, Jack was FURIOUS. And so the rivalry began.

You're right, of course. As the story progressed, Victor got too close to Ashley, and Nikki ended up turning to (a manipulative) Jack for comfort. There was initially antipathy between Jack and Nikki (for example, Nikki ran a "Mother's March" banquet at the Colonnade room...there was an auction...and jack tried to humiliate her by offering a huge sum for her to get naked in front of the room [reminder of her stripper days]...which she did). But antipathy turned to passion.

Once the Nikki-Jack and Victor-Ashley affairs started, the hatred was cemented.

If you all want the EXACT details on this, let me know, and I'll consult the Cassata book.

Archived