OLTL: Veteran actor returns

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think REG is firmly off the list of possible returns and that's more than fine with this Van fan. But regardless, perhaps it's time to get rid of Nora. All she seems to do is obsess about some nemesis. First Lindsay, now Todd. I think the response to Tea shows that the audience would be more than welcoming of a new lawyer in town.

But perhaps Rachel's brief return will make Nora seems like something other than a fixated shrew. Hopefully the actors will have chemistry.

• Members

You think Tea should be a DA or ADA? Yeah, she tried that; she ended up dating a former career criminal and then running off with another, and she's come back nastier and more unethical than ever. Law and order is not Tea's nature. Subverting the law is.

As for Nora being a shrew, I think she's entitled to be bitter about Todd.

• Members

*sigh* No I don't think Tea should be the DA. But I think part of the positive response to her is Nora fatigue. And while Nora has every right to be bitter about Todd that doesn't make it any less tiresome. It was the same with Lindsay. But like I said maybe the return of Hank and Rachel - however brief - might give Nora some of her dimension back.

• Members

What makes Nora's obsession with Todd so annoying is she's never going to win. Todd gets away with everything he does. Then the question becomes whether we're supposed to think she's annoying, so we'll be happier when Todd walks away from another horrible crime without paying a price.

I think Tea's return has been popular because she doesn't put up with anyone's crap. She still coddles Todd, but she's not weeping and begging like the old days. She's a bulldozer to everyone else and she does what many viewers would like to see someone, anyone, do, like deck Marty. Tea may be back to help Todd, but she still comes across as a tough female character on a show which has a recent tendency to either make women into psychos or complete doormats.

It would help Nora if we saw events from her perspective. Why not have Nora talk to Clint about how she felt when Todd stalked her and tried to kill her at the beach house? Why not have Nora talk about how upset she is with Matthew and how furious she is that Bo wants to send him off to military school? She's treated like a supporting character.

• Members

Oh ITA. Tea has clearly been a breath of fresh air. Like you said she's a bulldozer in a genre that revels in the victimization of women. But I think people have enjoyed watching her bulldoze Nora for two reason, one is Tea, the other is Nora. Nora was once one of my favorite characters but then came Sam and Lindsay Rappaport and the degradation began. I don't know if they can bring her back.

Maybe Hank can be that sounding board for Nora. He was around during all that drama. Maybe he can get her out of vengeance mode long enough to let people remember why she was once rootable.

• Members

Nora's still one of my favorites, partially because she and Tea are total opposites. I have really, really enjoyed Tea this time because she is a bulldozer, and because they have played up her deeply twisted and dysfunctional personality, which is something the actress always wanted. They've treated her honestly: Craven, ambitious, loyal to nothing but herself and Todd. Tea is extremely capable, but she's also nuts. And that's a good thing.

Archived