OLTL: Remembering Clint Ritchie and the Buchanan Years

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bo has essentially morphed into the kind of character Clint used to be (although I always thought of Clint having the stronger personality, more self-confidence, etc.). And with Asa gone, Bo is the patriarchal figure of the show. Whereas it might have been Clint had CR still been playing the role, it's Bo because of both Bo's nature and RSW's longevity on the show. Bo, for me, in his later years, has kind of been Clint-lite. Bo is filling roles that Clint used to fill so they are still utilizing that kind of presence on the canvas. But, while I think the type of character Clint portrayed is not an anachronism, I think Clint Ritchie's age was a factor. I mean, the role of Clint Buchanan is now being played by someone years younger while the essence of Clint Buchanan--namely, Bo--is also someone younger.

I can understand (and definitely agree with) the way Clint Ritchie felt with some of the changes for Clint Buchanan, particularly in the early 90s. It offended me as well and was one of the things that turned me off the show at the time because I was not interested in general with what OLTL was doing then. Ironically, the thing that brought me back the last time (took a break again when the nonsense with Mitch & Victor Lord was going on) was the re-introduction of Clint Buchanan in the form of Jerry verDorn, whom I had enjoyed on GL. I've had mixed feelings about it ever since. On the one hand, I was happy that JvD ended up with a contract role and a prominent, entwined character, especially after the way he had been wasted on GL. On the other hand, it meant no more appearances by Clint Ritchie, no more flashbacks, etc. As a Clint Ritchie fan, I missed him a lot. Still do and always will. :(

Archived