GL: Bloggers invited to see how things work in Peapack, NJ

• Members

Everyone go to welovesoaps.blogspot.com, the two part Ellen Wheeler interview is not only there you can hear her. Their is audio to her interview. Wheeler practically says when she arrived in 2004 they show was practically almost broke. They were spending tons of money where there was none. Also she talks about how in the old model that they could only use six sets a week and then the week after had to carry over four of the same sets. She also talked about all the kinks they had to iron out with the new production model. She said the cast/crew is a total lovefest at GL. They all love each other and if they were going to jump off the cliff together, they would all be holding hands together. She talked about all the negativity does not do the soap world any good. That another shows's success is everyone's success. She also talked about how they had no hiatus in daytime and they had to work out the kinks onscreen. She knows the show is not by any means perfect and they are still learning it. She said she cannot talk numbers but you would not believe how much more money they have this year versus last year with all the budget saving. She pretty much says where they were last year, they are so lucky to be on even on the air. She said if she has one more day, 3 more months or one year with these people that she will be greatful and how much a labor of love they have going on there. At the end of the interview she explains how her husband is a stay at home father and she works 12-16 hours a day. She said she was having a bad week at the show a few weeks ago and her husband made cookies for her staff. She is literally choking up when talking about this. Go listen to Ms. Wheeler speak.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Ellen Wheeler should have staying in acting but aging in daytime is tough. Daytimefan as an actress I thought she was amazing. She was great as Vicky/Marley and Marley the second time. As Cindy on AMC, what a sad storyline and it was so groundbreaking because AIDS was a death sentence back then. Wheeler was amazing in those death scenes. The best part of EW I remember is her as an actress because she was an amazing one.

• Members

I don't disagree with you. Ellen Wheeler WAS great on Another World and All My Children, she's a very good actress, probably because she's so sensitive. As an Executive Producer, however, she's too weak. Getting all blubbery and emotional doesn't reflect well on anyone. Compare her to the 'great' (love them or hate them) producers: Paul Rauch, Gloria Monty, Jill Farren Phelps, Bill Bell, Agnes Nixon, Edward J Scott...all tough as nails because, as a producer, you HAVE to be.

What I do disagree with you about is that aging in daytime is tough. Aging in ANY entertainment job is tough and that includes behind the scenes work. More producers, directors and writers are seeing dermatologists than ever before. They need the competitive edge. Besides, Wheeler isn't exactly elderly, she's 47.

• Members

I don't understand why she felt the need to change daytime. She talks about how soaps were shot the same way in 2004 as they were in 1954. Why was that such a bad thing? Ellen - look at the facts. For the most part, the 7 other soaps are still shooting the same way as soaps were shot in 1954 and all 7 of those soaps are higher rated than yours and more people are watching those soaps that are still shot the 'old' way.

I just wish that she took responsibility for ruining GL.

• Members

She admits though when she came to GL their budget was blown and the show was broke. She said they were spending tons of money they did not have and getting away with it. They were lots of sets in warehouses and paying huge fees. Remember back in 2005 when GL was renewed she had to fire alot of people including Paul Anthony Stewart and Nancy St Alban. Those were the first round of huge cuts that took place. Every year more cuts took place. She practically said the economy right now in television is horrid and look at how many shows are getting canned right and left. Look at NBC right now using Jay Leno every night at 10pm and replacing scripted shows, going to save NBC a ton of money. Wheeler says she wishes she had the budget the show had 20 years ago but the money just is not there. She just relays the info that the amount of money that is in there bank account versus last year will astound you and they should not even be on the air. Wheeler is a mormon and IMO her personal life has nothing to do with her professional but she is religious. Wheeler has that theme of ONLY LOVE CAN SAVE THE WORLD. The whole find your Light campaign was all her idea. She is about finding the love. At Peapack she wants to make it a close bonding experience. The GL cast/crew hug each other all the time and express their love for each other. That is the kind of set she wants is a total LOVEFEST. She admits if she has one more work, 3 more months or one year then she will consider it a success with these people. In Ellen's eyes, ONLY LOVE CAN SAVE THE WORLD LOL.

• Members

Okay, the show has no money, that however if no excuse for the stories. Doesn't she realize that no one is just attacking the production model? They're attacking the inconsistent characters, the horrible dialogue, the lack of continuity. Does she know how many independent movies are produced brilliantly with a fraction of her budget? You can have a realistic look without sacrificing your art. And that's what they've done, completely sacrificed their artistry to make a show on a shoestring budget. They don't care if it's shitty as long as they're saving money. It's a disgrace.

• Members

Thanks for the links, JonnysBro & DaytimeFan.

I LOVE how passionate Ellen is. When another daytime soap is in trouble, all others are. So glad she said something like that because that is exactly how I feel. All Ellen need to do is to get rid of the writers. Get rid of the current HW or demote him or something... the writing is horrible! I love the GL theme song, btw. lol

• Members

At this point, the production model doesn't bother me. I could live with it, if the stories were good. The writing for the most part is just awful. If the writing improved, I don't think there would be that much of a problem. This show still has so many good performers, everything is in place for good stories. Except of course, the writing :)

Archived