OLTL: Scott Clifton Joins Cast

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a friend who follows soaps but is not an OLTL fan, nor does he like Antonio but he saw him on the subway in New York and said in person he was one of the most beautiful people he'd seen.

Lee Patterson is maybe an example how soap stars have changed--his look certainly is dated now though I can see why, especially through the 70s he was seen as handsome. Still I don't think you could get away with someone like him beign the romantic lead to a MUCH younger character liek Vicki (similar to Rachel and Mac on AW).

I dunno I don't think OLTL's done all that much better than say AMC or even GH in terms of hiring adecent ratio of attractive guys who can at least somewhat act--it's not like an NBC soap ;)

• Members

I think soaps did themselves a big injustice or I guess fans did soaps a big injustice when they "dated" that type of soap hunk.

I loved when like in the 70's you could have all types of looks on soaps when you could have gorgeous women and men as leads as well as some plain or average looking people too.

In this day and age it would be hard for an actress like Jada Rowland or Carolee Campbell to get a job as anything other than very supporting but in the 60's and 70's they were leads on their shows. Just like the sets as we have talked about in other threads looked like any small town in America - the actors and characters reflected that as well. Now you tune into a soap and for the most part everybody looks like they stepped out of the pages of a modeling magazine.

• Members

Schuyler is Danish for scholar and has been used as a name since the Middle Ages. It wasn't until the Britney/Brandi stripper crowd thought it classy that the bizarre 'Skylar' variations began. A cursory glance at most soap boards shows a need for spelling and pronunciation guides.

• Members

Clifton is a ham.

As for hunks, I didn't know Jon Hensley had been on OLTL. He was beautiful back in the day (still pretty DILF now).

And hello, no hunks on OLTL? Roscoe Born (way back when) and Nathan Fillion come to mind.

I saw both KDLR and David Fumero around NY at separate times and can corroborate EricMontreal's friends opinion. Like, otherworldly beautiful.

• Members

OLTL was his first soap. He played Brody and he looked so good back then.

A few months later he left - some say he was fired and some say he just wasn't used anymore. He got the job as Holden on ATWT.

He seemed to be set for a big story and then just disappeared. He was working in that compound that housed the cult that Mitch Laurence led. It seemed they were going to pair him with either Cassie Callison or Joy O'Neill, but nothing ever happened.

• Members

Steve for once we're gonna disagree. There was no way for them not to--the same thing happened in movies, it happened everywehre. that "type of hunk" no longer was desirable. It's like the Tara Martin type of soap heroine.

I do agree that they've looked more nad more like models who are all pretty similar.

My sister just ran into Nathan F at a restaurant in Edmonton, our hometown (and his) she said it was all she could do not to bother him at his table.

Still I agree OLTL has done well more or less--the guy who plays Brody being a great current example

• Members

It seems for the most part to only be true of American television and soaps though.

I don't watch as much of the British soaps as everyone else does but I do check them out on You Tube and the Internet as often as I get a chance and even though they have some good looking guys and gals they still have very much the same as the American soaps did years ago with many characters looking like average every day citizens.

You mentioned movies and I agree that they have gone that way some but even though downgrade the beauty many times. Look at Charlize Theron who is very gorgeous but has worked to hide that beauty in movies like Monster. And then you have actors like Billy Bob Thornton who get leading roles and he is not a hunk (not ugly but not a big time hunk).

Soaps just constantly play up the beauty and the hunkiness. Even the secondary leads and character actors in soaps today often look like models.

I know that the powers that be have a lot to do with it, but the biggest reason is American's obsession with youth and looks. We are so obsessed with it that we force the stars to resort to all types of avenues to retain their youth and then make fun of them for doing it.

• Members

I have no problem with "Schuyler" (though I can see some people going "SHY-ler" with it).

I will admit that at first glance, my brain still hasn't fully trained itself to wrap around "Siobahn" ("SHOW-bn"... *Ugh* to me :rolleyes:)

• Members

I've seen Kamar's wife (I'm too lazy to Google her name :P but of course she used to be on OLTL and SuBe) about three times in the same spot on the UWS, 86th & B'way. They must live around there, or did about two years ago. I also saw James DePaiva on W. 71st St. one night, and Colin E. at the Barnes & Noble in Lincoln Square.

Archived