GH: The Nurse's Ball

• Members

I really miss the Nurse's Ball! I wish that TIIC would bring it back. GH has lots of musical talent at its disposal: Rick Hearst, Sonya Eddy, Bradford Anderson, Jason Thompson, and Anthony Geary were all featured on ABC Daytime's Love Affairs album. How great would it be if Nadine took over planning the nurse's ball?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Would the Nurses Ball really ever be the same considering the current cast?

I couldn't see it holding the same effect, with most of the veteran hospital staff off the show (dead Alan, recurring Bobbie, peripherized Monica, dead Tony), Lucy Coe MIA since Lila Quartermaine's funeral, and the cast more unlikable than it's ever been.

The Nurses Ball only has mild relevance to the current canvas because of Robin's HIV and past with Stone. If Jagger from Night Shift HAD transferred over to the mother ship after SHIFT was over, his connection to Stone would be important. I've always resented that the Nurses Ball was used as another device to make Sonny out to be this big-hearted philanthropist that is devoted to HIV and AIDS research because of Stone, and eclipsing the fact that he's killed people for all the money and power he wields.

Nadine planning the Nurses Ball would be a FAR cry from the beloved Lucy Coe, and a true example of how far this soap has fallen.

The medical staff attending the ball would be:

Robin

Patrick

Monica

Bobbie (IF they invited her)

Elizabeth

Kelly

Lainey

Leyla

Nadine

Epiphany

Matt Hunter

Noah Drake (if lured back to perform at the Ball)

The problem is that so much of that medical staff is STILL not popular with viewers or well-developed characters at all. The Ball was also a great showing of "high society" in Port Charles, and the Quartermaine showing would be laughable compared to the old days of the Nurses Ball. It's a shame that Tracy was never around in the years the Nurses Ball was on. Who would be at the Quartermaine table? Edward, Monica, Tracy and Big Alice? Luke would be on the run, Lulu would be at the Zacchara table (which would be an insult to see that family attend considering the ignorant remarks Claudia made about HIV the first time Robin tried to treat her in the ER at GH).

I'd rather leave the Nurses Ball as a treasured memory of days when GH HAD a heart, and not see it decimated by the vile characters who would ALL come across as shallow hypocrites who don't give a damn about the cause. To see medical staff that we aren't invested in discussing an important cause, and the audience in the ballroom populated by a town full of people who shoot at or try to blow up each other on a weekly basis would just negate the point of holding the Nurses Ball at all.

• Members

SO MUCH WORD.

With the way GH has fallen to hell I am happy to leave the Nurses Ball in the past as a memory of what GH used to be.

You've nailed a huge problem, none of the medical staff, aside from Robin, Patrick and Elizabeth, are well developed or like able. Throw in dead Allen, dead Tony, dead Amy, MIA Lucy and Kevin, recurring Bobbie and 'on contract but not really on screen' Monica and what the hell would the Nurses Ball be? A joke, that's what! I treasure those memories, I don't want to see them destroyed.

• Members

The nurse's ball was Wendy Riche's baby, and as soon as she was gone, so was it...

JFP blamed budget reasons, but that doesn't make a lick of sense. GH has money to blow up buildings and show mob violence, but they can't do a little charity ball? Give me a f-ucking break.

Wendy Riche, you are missed...

• Members

JFP blamed BUDGET reasons...oh Jill...how stupid do you think we are?

If anything, the Nurses Ball was CHEAP to produce, no CGI, no pyrotechnics...just cast members doing production numbers with decent lighting and Lynn Herring running around in her underwear. A simplistic definition of what the Nurses Ball was, admittedly, but it wasn't a complex event, it was fun and wonderful. It showed that the cast was a family, the show as an ensemble...it was magic.

I'm with Y&RWorldTurner, when Wendy Riche went she took the Nurses Ball with her.

• Members

One of my favorite moments of the Nurses Ball (this was ten years ago... 1998), and a sentiment I think would be even more apparent if today's canvas were to hold the event.

It was one of those rare moments (before the canvas was even devoured by the mob element like it is today) where a character was the voice of many disgruntled fans. It's thrilling but extremely poignant to watch this, because even while Tony is speaking the truth, ultimately he is shunned, shot down, and portrayed as the bad guy by the end of the scene.

I found it to be a very well-directed scene, though, and portraying a lot of mixed emotions around the room as a lot of people struggled with whether to agree with Tony or eject him from the room. Loved Felicia's expression at the very end. But still, a lot of the cast was beloved, and so even a hard-to-watch scene like this tugged at our hearts.

Archived