OLTL: Has anyone else given up watching this show?

• Members

miaj you're quickly becoming my fave OLTL poster ;)

I get what you're saying, although I'd counter it with the fact that the past ten years of OLTL have hardly been all that strong--with, arguably, some of the worse periods in OLTL history outside of DePriest's rap storyline in 1990 and the Corringtons turning it into a mob show briefly in the early 80s (or was that Henry Slesar? anyway they were out in under a year)

It's funny your comment:

"This is a new show that happens to have some of the characters from the show you used to love and their actors on it- with story lines similar to the show you grew up watching. IN fact the writer used to write for that show, and has now started writing a new show that isn't half bad- and in the current soap climate, these stories might pack an occasional punch that will leave you spellbound. "

Could also have been said about Malone/Griffith's first era with Gottlieb (one that got me hooked to the show) and critics of it have said basically as much...

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm in love with the argument that you can't fire a head writer for low ratings because ALL soap ratings are in a decline. I couldn't have put it better myself.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when as soon as a viewer sits through a bad story or some (what they consider) unwatchable episodes, the first thing we go to in our minds is "when will they be fired"?! It's sad that we as an audience are so impatient, so lacking in faith and trust that we don't even want to remember the over-100 page thread the week of the BE takeover and that RON CARLIVATI gave us that thrill and excitement. Why do we forget what he's capable of the MINUTE his vision changes course from what we like? No audience will be 100% pleased 100% of the time.

Do I have my misgivings? Sure. I think Charlie pretty much fell off the map when Viki left town. I don't really like the way they handled Tina's return (but DO love Andrea Evans, and her portrayal of Tina). I think they made some unnecessary shortcuts in the Rex/Gigi/Shane/Brody story. They revealed Shane's paternity too quickly, Rex forgave Gigi too quickly, Rex canned his marriage to Adriana too quickly, Brody went crazy too quickly... but I think (considering ABC's new brand commercial) that it's a result of pressure from Frons and his network pack to push Rex/Gigi as the next supercouple without understanding that the REASON they worked for the past year was because they were kept apart by several people (including themselves) and secrets. I don't fault Carlivati for that, but again, maybe I'm laying the credit/blame on the wrong person and it really WAS Carlivati's choice. My point is, I don't know who's truly at fault any more than ANYONE in this thread does.

Same with Todd/Marty. I don't like them kissing. I watched and vividly remember the Spring Fling gang rape and think it's WRONG for them to go romantic with Todd/Marty. But I DO think it's riveting television because it's destined to be a train wreck of epic proportions when Marty gets her memory back and reunites with the rest of Llanview. It's a jump start back to the raw emotions Marty felt for Todd right after the initial rape all those years ago. It'll all be a freshly-opened wound and it will be great to see Todd villified for all these sins. I for one want to see Marty blow a big hole through Todd's chest with a shotgun when she realizes what he's done. Not sure that will happen. But I can't wait to see because there's no payoff for the viewers if something huge like that doesn't happen.

There is so much that goes on behind the curtain that we can never know the conditions under which Carlivati is expected to churn out 52 weeks of entertaining soap each year. Starting a thread asking when a head writer (especially one that DOES love the show in spite of some months of uneven material) is going to be fired will only contribute to the further decline of daytime, not bring it away from ultimate cancellation.

• Members

It's a symptom partly of the current soap climate--as much as I LOVE knowing who's writing, etc, etc--back until the mid 70s or so--prob few audience members even knew who was writing when--and if they disliked a story for a while, they wouldn't think immediately "fire the writer and get a new one". While there are examples (GH, P&G's current soaps) of I think execs giving soap writers almost too many chances to improve--even since the 60s we've seen that the rapid firing as soon as something happens, of soap writers who have barely been at a soap for a year--does nothing but bad. (well usually--James Lipton being out at Another World and Agnes Nixon in, in under a year is an exception ;) )

• Members

I thought Ron was overrated from day one and I still think he is overrated. I guess everything is personal opinion, but as bad as Higley was, Ron is not much better. It's different newbies and different overexposed favorites, but it' still the newbie hour and it's still focused on very very few characters. The stories drag on forever, just like they did with Higley. The show is incredibly campy, and I know there are those who like camp.

Personally I don't care if he is fired or not because I don't watch the show any more and will not watch it again. However, it does seem that a lot of the people who say writers should be given more of a chance, were outspoken about firing Higley and Malone. The time frame is no different for Ron.

Also, it seems like when Higley and DOOL hit a 1.9 rating, there was a thread asking when she would be fired and many of the same people arguing that she should be fired are now saying that Ron is being treated unfairly because he has had one bad story (actually he has one good story).

• Members

Cry me a river...the show is beginning to hit it's stride again.

Memories of yesteryear are wonderful memories. Clinging to thoughts of how great the show "was" back in the day...the show is 40 years old and it cannot afford not to evolve.

There were things during the Gottlieb years that were eye-rolling and even more hideous than Todd/Marty.

Anyone remember the "mini" storylines/afterschool specials inserted into OLTL during this time? I can't remember the character's name, but there was a small story on wife abuse that served no purpose at all and these new characters were not connected to anyone on the canvas. How about Lee Ann and Jason? Jason can't read? Wanda's heart condition? B O R I N G

I watched the show daily, as I do now and I wouldn't go back to the early 90's for anything. Even though I would much rather see some Cassie instead of Langston and some Megan instead of Natalie.

Get with the times...

• Members

Ah I thought Higley was borderline unwatchable and cfompletely missed the feel of DAYS--and as slow as Ron's tories can be--hers were ten times slower. I remember one day went on for 6 weeks? lol Wretched writing.

But I agree about the ratings thing--and OLTL has stayed relatively steady. When Malone and crew wer ebrought in to revitalize OLTL in the 90s they NEVER brought it close to its numbers as close as 2 or so years before (when the Rauch camp era started ot lose its lustre--it had been top 3 material for most of its time) always sticking in the middle of the charts. but the critical acclaim, and the ratings keeping steady were enough. Now I think a lot of people who loved that era seem to think it was hugely rated--but it wasn't.

• Members

It seems you're addressing my post, but I hope you don't think I'm one of the people who campaigns for anyone's firing. The only writer I really WANT gone from Daytime is Bob Guza, and that is based on pretty much 10 YEARS worth of watching him work at systematically dismantling that show. As someone who writes I do think most of these writers do the best that they can and from what I can tell most of them are human and all have their strengths and opportunities for growth.

But I feel like campaigning for firings, and impatience about seeing improvements in ratings will only make future head writers' tenures shorter and shorter, and the soaps will become more and more inconsistent and unrecognizable as a result.

• Members

You also have to take into consideration that this is Higley's second time as HW of DAYS. We know what we saw back in 2003, so when that sh*t started happening now, in 2008, yes we're calling for her dismissal. This is Ron's first time as a HW. Higley's proved herself to be a hack time and time again, on different shows in different positions. You can't say the same thing for Carlivati.

• Members

Well the first few months took a while to hit their stride--Gottlieb tested out the mini storylines (I think they lasted three weeks?) to get casual viewers. One was a spousal abuse thing starring the actor from Body Double--that's the only one I remember. They wisely realized they didn't work whatsoever. Hahah I liked the Jason stuff (though I liekd him more when it all tied in to Marty with him looking for her the nigth fo the rape etc) and Wanda's heart trouble--but I think I just liked seeing Wanda on screen--I miss her diner/boarding house. But yes--of cours ei thad its probs

That said I get why this Marty/Todd redux story actually upsets people. the stories you mention were boring maybe, but not deeply offensive especially to people who may have been raped or may have gotten a lot of help from watching the original Marty story. That's what makes me uncomfortable about it. I HATED the idea when it was originally talked about--and I have to admit it's one of the msot compelling stories on right now. But of course I get why it troubles some people and I'm still very hesitant to see how it's played out.

• Members

So true- but those periods were not combined with the rapid decrease in show ratings- so RC has gotten the **** end of the stick. Malone is a sharp writer and understands that secrets and love can go beyond the basic IQ of "one true loves." I didn't feel as though he was trying to insult my intelligence or change the fabric of the show. But I also don't think RC is trying to shaft me- he just doesn't know me.

Lets be honest-It could just be the look of RC- he looks like a "dude" who wanted to be a writer. There's something wet behind the ears happening in his appearance that doesn't occur when looking at Hogan.(not trying to be shallow) He looks like a writer that wants to get pushed around- either by the fans or the corporates. Nothing about him says- "this is a man that's going to go in that board meeting and fight for a story line that means something to him."----Then you watch the show and see camp and aloof characters and acting- who else to blame but the man writing the show (figuratively speaking). The story lines are the old- and you feel some kid straight out of law school, who probably locks his office door when he goes into work, is playing god with a show you've given 5 hours a week to since you were 5....and that smile....the devil comes in many guises. Dena Higley was no better with that picture on her couch with her dog.

• Members

No, it wasn't your's :lol: :lol:

I believe that EPs should be held more accountable for sorry shows. We are going to disagree on soaps. I think they should be allowed to be cancelled and replaced with new soaps. The thought that a soap has to drag on for 40 years until it is just bad makes no sense to me. Passions was on 9 years. That is a long time. The only thing NBC did wrong IMO is it did not cancel and replace. Same thing with PC. ABC could have come out with new 30 minute sopa.

What we are seeing right now are bad soaps that are being kept alive on life support only because networks are not willing to let them die and replace them with a new show. No writer on OLTL has been very good for an extended period of time in a decade.

As far as Ron hitting a dip after the BE takeover and the Nash death, that is because he had no story in place after the BE takeover and the Nash death. He killed Nash for no other reason than he want Jared to be his Nash. There was no plan for what should happen next with BE. That is a pretty big blunder.

In his defense, he said all along that he liked campy stories (he didn't call them campy). He said he liked stories of ghosts and time travel. None of this should come as any surprise.

Archived