Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think it has more to do with Finn having a boyfriend who has HIV.

That's not Andy's house, it's where he's staying because of his brother's hospitality (you know, because he accidentally killed Andy's wife...), which makes it even skeezier. Skeeziest of all is that Robert laid pipe into Chrissie on that very same couch.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I actually do think they've done a decent job showing Andy grieving and struggling to cope. Everyone is trying to help, but most of them are incapable, as ultimately it's down to him. That scene where he was crumpling Sarah's drawing into nothing, and didn't even realize it - so sad.

I'm trying not to see him as being in the wrong for treating Tracy as a prostitute, as he's clearly not well, but I can see where it would put some viewers off.

I just hope this isn't an excuse to reinstate Andy as the welcome wagon for any and all female characters, like he was for years. They may as well give that job to someone like Ross now.

That's why I put it in spoilers. It hasn't happened yet.

• Members

A preview of Gemma Atkinson's first day as Carly Hope.

I can see that I'm probably going to have the same horribly mixed feelings about her here that I did on Hollyoaks.

At least they had Bob mention Jamie, which is nice. I miss Jamie.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a633827/emmerdale-spoiler-video-gemma-atkinson-arrives-as-carly-hope.html

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I normally don't agree with a lot of these types of op-ed soap articles but this one I think gets almost everything right - the only thing I would have added is praise for Roxy Shahidi, who has been wonderful throughout the aftermath (especially Leyla's scene telling Alicia not to stop dressing the way she wants to dress).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/feature/a633505/soap-spy-why-emmerdale-was-right-to-air-alicia-and-lachlans-story.html

• Members

I've been watching some episodes from early 1974, when Ruth (later Pat) Merrick came home and visited her sister Janie. It's fascinating to see Annie's harsh attitude towards her and her dislike of Ruth's/Pat's interest in Jack. I would love to see episodes from the early 1980's when both Jack and Ruth/Pat had come back to Beckindale and had begun to get romantically involved again, and see whether Annie's attitude had changed. Not to mention the revelation that Jackie Merrick was indeed Jack's son. This rumour was already mentioned in the very early episodes, much to Annie's displeasure.

• Members

Yes, she did. In the early episodes she had three children, Jackie, Sandie and Tommy. When she came back in 1980 only Jackie and Sandie came with her. I don't think Tommy was ever mentioned again. It's quite a strange blunder for a show that was otherwise very good with continuity back then.

• Members

Today's episode will be on...today, so I may as well blather out my review of last week while it's still somewhat fresh.

The show has so many different stories going on. While I don't really love most of them, most are decent, and are building along at a solid pace. I'm glad to get various plots that use a large chunk of the cast, especially since I don't think the "big" stories on the show are all that exciting at the moment (with exceptions, like a few of the post-Katie episodes).

So, ranking from the stories I felt strongest to weakest...

- Andy's grieving. I'm not much of an Andy fan, never have been, but I think Kelvin Fletcher is in his best range in this type of plot. Little scenes like Andy crumpling up Sarah's drawing without even realizing it, thus pushing her away, pack a big punch. I also like that we are seeing there is no "right" way to get him to move on, no matter how much some of his family is insistent on trying to control his grief. The scenes with Bernice and Tracy were extremely unpleasant, and clearly not just Andy trying to get a leg over, regardless of some how fans spun it. I just hope the story won't become entirely about "saving" Andy from Tracy.

- Diary of a Maurel Housewife. This is one of those stories that works in a slow buildup, and Charlotte Bellamy is a very good actress who can play all the beats. Getting people to lie for her, not wanting to drink but not being able to stop herself, being so happy about a potential new job only for Marlon to fall asleep during her presentation, further showing the distance between them. I like that this is not based on some big melodrama where she sees him cheating or whatever - he's being nice, by Marlon standards, but there's so much going on and she feels worthless and has nowhere to go but down. I also love seeing Ashley so friendly with his ex-wives. Ashley is a good man with a kind heart - we need more of those on soaps.

- Alicia aftermath. I would have put this at the top if not for the OTT, horrific way Chrissie was written on Monday's episode, and the decision to close the investigation so early. I think these writing choices sent a bad message to rape victims and the Chrissie material felt like cheap, poorly acted theatrics. Everything outside of this was very strong, especially Leyla convincing Alicia to wear her regular clothes and not be ashamed, and Alicia trying and failing to have sex with David. Natalie Anderson, Roxy Shaidi, Matthew Wolfenden, and the boy who plays Jacob were all on top form throughout the week. I'm so glad 98% of the village supports Alicia and that David also supports her, instead of this being a question mark just for a few screamy teary scenes. I wish Collinson had done this in that awful domestic violence story with Tyrone on Corrie.

- Val's HIV. I could have done without the days of coughing and the life or death hospital scenes. It was all just a bit overdone, although Chris Chittell (Eric) was much better than I'd expected in the hospital scenes. I thought Friday's episode was much more true to Val and to her family, and I think the message of the story (trying to deal with your HIV instead of ignoring it) is necessary. Paul's visit was believable and added to the story (and I'm so glad to have finally gotten to see him with Bernice onscreen), and I really liked the connection between Finn and the nurse, Darren. Joe Gill is hit or miss in dramatic scenes but he had some moments here, like talking to Darren about Val being his mother figure. And the scene where she teased him for pulling while she was on her deathbed was perfect.

- Tracy and Kerry. It gets a bit tiring to see Tracy exist solely as some slapper the entire village hates or tolerates and she moves from set to set being sour. I hope this isn't going to continue to be her only purpose, especially now that she's with Andy. As much as some of the scenes with Kerry and Tracy felt repetitive, Kerry had some hilarious lines (my favorite was the one where she confronted Dan about eating with Tracy, reminding him that they'd hooked up over a pot noodle - when he said they hadn't, she just said, "Oh. Must have been someone else then" and awkwardly changed the subject).

- Pearl pissing her money away. This is the second time she's lost all her money through silly schemes or through addictions, so I can't say it's OOC, but it's not all that interesting to watch. I like Pearl, and Meg Johnson, but I prefer her as a comic supporting character.

• Members

August 1997 throwback to the affair between Jack Sugden and his ex-stepniece Rachel that helped destroy his marriage to Sarah, heavily damage the psyches of Andy and Robert, and ultimately, lead to Sarah’s death. Jack may not have planned to have an affair, but he sure did enjoy himself when he did. Poor Rachel had a miserable, pathetic life, and one of the most depressing deaths in soap history.

Blake’s 7 fans may recognize the picture of Rachel’s mother...

Other stories include Eric Pollard getting throttled by the constipated Lurch patriarch of one of ED’s many flop families, the Cairns; bitch goddess Kim Tate delivering some cracking lines; glimpses of Chris (the best villain Home Farm ever had) and sister Zoe (without whom ED would likely never have had so many gay, lesbian, or bisexual characters); teen adventures with Roy Glover (best known for the actor’s long run on the UK Shameless) and vixen-in-training Kelly Windsor (best known in more recent times for popping back up every few years to raise hell for her ex, Jimmy King); and Kathy, widow of Sugden son Jackie and central heroine of ED for nearly 15 years, having yet more custody heartbreak with her niece Alice (a story that would eventually send Kathy off the show when the actress criticized the show in the press and promptly got the sack).

Current characters include Marlon (with his father, who seems to be wearing Rip Taylor’s old wig), Lisa, Zak, and Pollard.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The affair between Jack and Rachel came out of nowhere, and even though they had both done this before (he cheated on his former wife Pat, and she had had affairs with two married men before, Pete Whiteley and Chris Tate) it always felt a bit forced.

Rachel's death, when Graham pushed her off the cliff, is one that really surprised me. This was before internet and spoilers and I had no idea what was gonna happen. In a twist of irony Graham later died the same way, when the car he and Kathy traveled in went over a cliff. Kathy managed to scramble to safety but Graham died.

Edward Peel, who played Tony Cairns here had previously been the second actor to portray Tom Merrick, ex-husband of Pat and father to Sandie Merrick. The Cairns were thankfully not around for long, but long enough for Mrs. Cairns to develop feelings for Zoe!

Lovely to see Viv and Terry (Yes, I'm still mad about their demise) and Viv's first husband Vic. (Oops, I almost forgot that Viv had been married before, to Scott's fatherph34r.png )

And of course Alan and Seth. smile.png

I had almost forgotten about Dee, Eric's much younger wife from the Philippines! Another character who came and went without leaving any lasting impression.

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

This one’s right after the other episode I posted.

Important notes:

- Various Robert scenes in here. Robert being supportive and happy (for the first time since Andy left…). Robert as the devoted son. Robert in warm Sugden family scenes that make me sad at what he lost. Robert helping to save a child! You see, Robert isn’t all bad. (ironically, Kathy, whose niece he helped save, was the Katie of her day)

- Baby Victoria!

- Jack is as terrible at hiding affairs as his son is! He’s even worse, actually, as he makes out with his mistress in broad daylight after returning to the village.

- Affairs help you find kidnapped children!

- If this is not the most hilarious rescue scene on a soap, it’s high up there.

- The Kelly/Roy/Chris/Kim scene in this is absolutely priceless.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Who was the guy struggling to get it on with his gf? Catching up on last few episodes...looks like you were right about Emma not being too keen on Finn dating an HIV positive guy.

I mean I can sorta understand that. It's one thing for it to be with a friend. It's another when it's your own son or daughter. Still though Finn looks so devastated I feel bad for him. Personally i wouldn't date someone positive but different strokes for different folks. If he feels comfortable doing so then I say let him explore it I guess.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear