Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Iain Macleod’s name is gone from the credits? Well, I’ll let the anniversary week pass (likely when he planned some of his stories to conclude) and gauge the general consensus before deciding whether to get back in or not. His Emmerdale was not for me. 

I’m taking the Y&R approach (though I think that may turn into a more long term ‘holiday’ given the shiny new hatchet gifted to Mal Young).

Edited by UK LAW

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Geez, how much longer are they going to let this Rebecca story drag on? It's bordering on the ridiculous now. No, I stand corrected, it's gone way past ridiculous now actually. How many times can they use her situation as a cliffhanger?  

Please register in order to view this content

I want her to survive but I'm starting to feel that she can die now if that is the only way to stop this mess from continuing. 

• Members

^^

You're probably right. Can't have anything disturb the lovey-dovey Aaron & Robert duo for long now, can we?   

No I hadn't seen that, but I had read something about it.

Please, please, please don't let it be Kim behind that mask. She had a phenomenal run and a spectacular end. Thanks to that she has remained one of the most iconic characters this show has produced. I really don't want to see her back only to be outmanoeuvred by Debbie and/or Charity. And you know that is exactly what is going to happen!!  

• Members

I think she will leave with Ross - I don't think that is Robert's child either. I guess we'll see. 

I am hoping it's Sadie King or Kathy behind the mask, not Kim. I loved Kim but it just wouldn't work now. And without Zoe or Chris around there isn't much impact. Nobody wants to see her fighting with Debbie Dingle.

• Members

Yes, Sadie King could be an option. Ex-husband Jimmy is still around, and she has volatile histories with both Cain and Charity. Only if it's Patsy Kensit though. No recast please!

As for Kathy, even though I would love to see her again, there really is no reason for her to return to the village. She has a family in Australia, and she has no real ties to Emmerdale anymore after Alan's death and Betty's departure. Her return would have no impact whatsoever.

• Members

Kathy was friends with Bernice and Marlon, frenemies with Eric, and also somewhat close to Robert and Victoria when they were kids. And she was Joe's godmother. I think she could fit in in a matriarchal capacity. I doubt it's her though.

Patsy has said she'd return if asked, and Sadie has so many ties (she also had an affair with Robert). 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

True, Kathy had relationships with some of the people that remain in the village, and I had actually forgotten about her being Joseph's godmother.

I don't see what she would bring to the canvas though. She was never a pot-stirrer like Kim or Sadie and Diane has taken on the maternal role for Robert and Victoria.

Who knows, maybe we're both wrong and it's Zoe in a blond wig!   (Does anyone know how Leah Bracknell is doing by the way?)   

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

Leah had another blog a month ago.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/healthandbeauty/health-and-fitness/2018082261505/emmerdale-leah-bracknell-cancer-treatment-update/

https://somethingbeginningwithc.com/tag/leah-bracknell/

I have seen some fans say it may be Jean, but that would give little story as she is only 15.

I think Kathy could work as a voice for Joe, as a community character/tie to history and farming, and I'd probably find her more believable with Robert than I do Diane, but I doubt it's her. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thank you   

I'm not sure they would want to remind people of the show's history, especially the part that involved farming. That aspect has practically disappeared nowadays. Yes, Moira is supposedly still running a farm, but it's hardly ever mentioned. That is a shame, because that is one thing that set Emmerdale Farm apart from the other shows, and gave it a distinctive identity. Now every story told on the show could just as easily be told on Coronation Street or EastEnders. Emmerdale has lost that which made it unique and is now just another generic soap.

• Members

You're right. I remember reading a few years ago that the reason a lot of Americans (like myself) enjoyed EMMERDALE was that it was a different pace, in an idyllic setting where you could breathe and enjoy the story. 

Now that I know Ian is gone, I'll give the show another chance. It always pains me when I give up a soap I've loved for more than a decade (All My Children, One Life to Live, The Young and the Restless), so I'm willing to see what happens next...for better or worse... Although, I've been loving Hollyoaks for the last six months - hands down.