OLTL: writing and characters

• Members

Natalie's my favorite so I will leap in before somebody else does :P

You transition between talking about the characters and their portrayers with a certain lack of demarcation so I am not sure whether you meant Natalie the character is bland, or Melissa Archer the performer. The character of Natalie has been written to be primarily absorbed with Jared since May. It's a shame IMO that you missed the buildup to their professions of love in May. As with most love stories, the sexual tension and the longing and the conflict is required to fully enjoy the payoff. That said, since you've only seen the aftermath, I can understand how you might find the character of Natalie bland.

Natalie was abducted as an infant. Raised by Roxy Balsom (with Rex as her sibling in her early childhood, before Roxy sent him to live with an aunt). Viki didn't know she'd given birth to twins. Natalie returned in a firestorm of controversy eight years ago and rocked the Buchanan's world. She was being manipulated by Alison Perkins and she came to take back her birthright, and she didn't care who got hurt in the process. She was a scheming bitch with none of the polite upbringing that would have made her take a more diplomatic/polite approach. Viki raised Jessica.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still think the dialogue is quite good these days. I'll stand by that. I think it's better than it's been in about seven or eight years, that's for sure, but I also think it's just plain intelligent and strong. I don't know how people can point that out compared to the daily dreck of Higley's run ("I know the truth about you, Spencer!...I know you like anchovies on your pizza."), but I guess we all just got numb to her, didn't we.

I also think we pooh-pooh Tina or Mendorra at our peril. It took me a long time to understand this. It's easy to hate on Paul Rauch's OLTL and the '80s heyday, as I did for years, knowing what it cost the show behind the scenes with the firing of Ellen Holly, etc. But putting that aside, the show was extremely popular for fans. There are many iconic stories and couples and scenes that come out of that time that deserve respect and admiration, even when they were cheesy at times, even when it got goofy. I think the best thing about a soap opera, one of the greatest strengths it has, though it is now rarely utilized, is to be able to embrace multiple aspects of its own identity and past at once. For example, AMC can do a story about Erica having the first abortion, yet also at the same time do capers with Erica and Jeremy Hunter and a brown bear and blah blah blah. You can tell a story about Angie and Jesse or Jenny and Greg and also do Dimitri Marick's dark gothic stuff. On DOOL, you have Stefano and the possession alongside Bill and Laura, or Marlena's baby dying of SIDS. And at OLTL, you have Marty's rape, Billy Douglas, Carla Hall, etc. all sitting alongside Tina, Mendorra, the waterfall, Eterna, Starship Heaven, etc. It all exists in the same continuum; it's all part of the same wild, crazy whole. I think the best thing to do is embrace it rather than shun it. Say 'yes, we can tell a down to earth story at the same time as a wild out-there story.' I think they can and should. I don't think one precludes the other unless someone lets it. What I see OLTL today as is as a unified whole: Adult storylines like the BE takeover, homey romance like Gigi and Rex, alongside the Mendorra caper. The only thing we're missing is a good social issues story, but really OLTL's ODed on that the last few years, and badly.

Oh, and we're missing black people.

• Members

You make excellent points Vee! We often judge individual stories as standing alone, and sometimes that is not fair. It's about striking a balance and I do think the Tina/Cain/Mendorra storyline provides needed balance to the show. It's not what I tune in for, but I find it entertaining. On the otherhand, not all stories/characters, whatever, will appeal to all viewers. Nothing to do with Todd/Marty/Cole/Starr et al holds my interest for long. Somedays I find it compelling enough to watch, but generally I FF. Clearly there are some who are really enjoying that. As Ryan said, different strokes for different folks.

I want my RJ and Layla! :angry:

• Members

This is interesting- I hope that's what's behind JVD's choices when portraying Clint.

BTW: why did Asa and Blair marry?

LOL, you're right about that. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it. It's probably the way he speaks, the way he acts,even that mid-show bumper I saw with him and Talia, it gives me that idea, so I probably figured he was that kind of character.

Really? And was he played by Mark Derwin? Anyway, whoa! That's plenty of grieving time for a soap character.

I'm glad there's a realistic reason behind his change. That being said, who is Jennifer? Lindsey's daughter? Was she killed by Spencer? And did Lindsey and Rex have an affair?

I apologize for that, but I'm barely familiar with the characters, I still don't know the names of all the actors. Anyway, it's interesting to start a soap again.

• Members

I couldn't agree more with you Vee. If OLTL is so watchable now it's because it's S/L and character mix are balanced. Gone are the days of the John McBain show or everything revolving around him. As are the days of doom and gloom.

Each day we get a taste of different characters and S/Ls to keep us interested. Let’s face it, even back in the hay day of soaps there was always a character or S/L that we didn't like or care for but as long as it didn't become the focus of the show we watched because there were other things to hold our interest.

I think that most people agree (from what I've read at least) Bree Williamson has done some outstanding work in the last couple of weeks and that her S/L right now is HOT. But we haven't seen Jess/Tess since last Wednesday. That is what the late greats called good writing. Drawing out a story and making the viewers wait. RC may not be a revolutionary, he may not have reinvented the wheel but he is giving us well balanced, character driven story.

• Members

I hope so too. At one point I was believing "OMG, when did JVD begin to suck!" Lol.

I can't quite put my finger on why they married. I was a kid and don't remember.

:lol: :lol: I think I love you! You pretty much summed it up.

Yup. Derwin played Ben. OLTL promised La Slezak a story ever since the death of Ben and failed to deliver. This is the first time Viki has opened her heart to someone since Ben's death. She was close to opening her heart back up to Clint, but Higley's blatant Dorian/Clint agenda kinda ruined that. Clint chose Dorian over Viki (which was BS IMO) and Viki kinda went back to not thinking she needed love.

Jen was Lindsey's daughter. She was murdered by Nora's ex-husband Daniel Colson (who is the father of Jen's ex-boyfriend Riley...who also dated Sarah when she was known as Flash). Jen discovered Daniel was having an affair with a classmate of hers (I forget his name) and Daniel killed her to cover his homosexual affair.

Rex and Lindsey had an affair a few years back, and it was a big reason why Jen never trusted Rex again. They used to flirt with possibly pairing Rex and Lindsay up again, but thank god they stopped.

I'm glad you're tuning into a new soap. I really enjoy your viewpoints. It's weird discussing a soap with someone just tuning in. Usually it seems someone used to watch or occasionally did, but is familiar with what happened. I haven't read the OLTL discussion thread yet, but I hope you'll join us in discussing the show.

:)

• Members

Why should Talia be ten years younger *confused* I do agree with lots of your points-- Especially the chess board plotting although when nearly every other soap shows the same 2 stories and characters over and over ANY change with tons of characters and stories feels refreshing.

One thing though is Ron C seems to be trying to balance the silly campiness of OLTL in the 80s with the social relevance, and diversity (economics and racial) of the 70s and early '00s. This is a hard balancing act and the Mendorrah thing is VERY 1980s (even though Mendora was reference din the '00s and I believe Carlow as created in that era--it still seems like Ron is rally going for an 80s reduc with it). I'm not totally sure it works but again, I'm enjoying it....

• Members

Blair married Asa so she would be able to ensure that her mother Addie (Dorian's sister), would be well taken care of. Blair never loved Asa however, and turned down his advances. She made love to Max Holden on top of her wedding dress the day she was to marry Asa. Plus she once withheld medication from him as he was having a heart attack. Up until Christmas of last year, Addie had spent most of her life in mental institutions, with the latest being St. Ann's, which is in Llanview.

There is a mental illness gene with runs in the Cramer family. Dorian's other sister Melinda has also been in an institution for years, althought not in Llanview.

Last Christmas, thanks to some new medication, Addie become lucid and was released from St. Ann's. She now lives with Dorian.

• Members

Not that I agree with them, I just think that's what they'll do. They usually react like that when child actors grow too much. That's why I think they should have chosen an even younger actor.

Hm, sounds pretty stupid... I guess it's all in the execution :D

Thank you so much, you've been very kind. I'd love to join your threads, the only problem is that I usually watch the eppys with a certain delay, so I'm not really 'up to date' as you all are. [for example, I still have to watch the 7-7 eppy)

I never said she *should* be younger. I only said that especially CBS soaps tend to pair young women with quite older men. I didn't know that there are 15 years of difference between the actors playing Talia and Antonio, they actually seemed pretty much the same age to me (Talia looking older, Antonio looking younger).

Scotty, thanks for explaining to us the whole Blair/Asa thing. Who's her daddy anyway? Something that bugs me of Ron's writing is that there is this obsession with fathers. The Charlie/Jared/Rex mess speaks volumes for itself, then don't forget about SHANE, and then again a few weeks ago, an emotional Blair asked Addie about her own father... Geez, Llanview fathers are really unreliable.

• Members

hey, i do the same thing. i watch a day behind. just come in and post about it. people are always willing to discuss prior days episodes. the the fun in the big oltl weekly thread, you can post whatever whenever and everyone can discuss it.

• Members

No, it was stupid and borderline homophobic in parts. This was Dena Higley's story so the execution was hardly brilliant :P

Hotness, Blair's father was someone (a doctor or orderly?) who raped Addie--and of course was originally Japanese which is why Blair was for a bit over a year half asian. I think we're gonna see the "who's my father" story come back since they've mentioned it a bit recently

Archived