GL: Sherry Stringfield (ex Blake Thorpe)

• Members

I used to watch GL back in the early '90s when Sherry Stringfield was on. I thought she was fantastic in the role of Blake. There is an interview with her on TVGuide.com. She has this to say about soaps but I'm not sure what she means. Is this an insult or a compliment?

"TV Guide: Reflections on ER?

Stringfield: It's a chief part of my life. I guess how hard it is for a series to keep fresh and good and stay true to character. That becomes harder and harder. You have to stay on it even more. You have to fight.... [ER] isn't a soap opera. This isn't about my hair. It's a successful machine and it requires a lot of work. You have to stand your ground. A great lesson for me."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting. I don't see it as either an insult or compliment. I never liked Sherry Stringfield's portrayal of Blake Thorpe Marler. I don't think she was that great, but once Elizabeth Kiefer took over, that's when I started to like the character of Blake for some reason.

• Members

On some soaps (certain executive producers) are in such control that an actor or actress has to ask permission to change their hair style. Perhaps that is what she is speaking about. What I appreciate about Sherry was how during her first stint on ER, she didn't have a problem going on a Soap Opera Awards broadcast and thanking the casting director who discovered her.

• Members

When SS first started on GL she had quite long hair. (Frankly, it didn't suit her.) After, she cut it -- or they made her cut it -- it was a total transformation. She looked fierce. I loved her Blake -- especially when she mixed it up with Alexandra. There is a great scene on youtube called "ballerina". Beverlee McKinsey was truly awesome.

• Members

It sounds like a knock to soaps, but her comment isn't totally unjustified. I think she was saying that soap producers care more about hair and appearance than they do about good writing, and that's probably true to an extent. Patricia Kalember said the same thing about her time on "Loving." She either left or was let go after one year. Later, she said that all the producers cared about was making sure her hair was teased properly.

Archived